The hunting formula my friend Bill Mewhort taught me was to sit in ambush from before dawn and then walk about after 10 am. I was highly successful when I was younger and Bill was around to mentor. I haven’t shot deer in the last few years because frankly I prefer to drive around on my quad and shoot grouse when they begin to appear at 10. I don’t get going till after dawn either. I only walked for about a half hour or an hour. And the dog and I got fat but we had a hell of a time.
Now I’ve sold the quad and am back to getting up before dawn. This last week I wasn’t out in ambush but I was hiking up the mountain starting at 7 am. I got a lot of exercise I needed. It was a wonderful time. Saturday and Sunday I was at the specatacular Nicola Valley Pro Rodeo enjoying every minute of Broncho riding, bull riding, barrel races and roping.
Sept 10 Thursday, rifle hunting season opened. I ‘d not shot anything with the bow. My friend’s daughter in youth season shot a buck. Now it was 4 points (8 points total) mule deer and white tail. Grouse season opened. I”d lost my 22 and was so happy to find a Chiapas 20 gu shot gun with a 22 LR over under. I so enjoyed target practice and siting in the rifle.
I didn’t see anything Friday. It was like the game knew the season had opened. I did get my Thrk bike out and ride along the road behind the RV park down to where the annual music festival takes place. Of course I raised a grouse there but only had Madigan with me.
I really did think I’d shoot a deer but nothing.
Saturday I did shoot a grouse. Madigan was ecstatic. I used the 20 guage. After the hunt I stopped to wash the Jeep.
That night I made rice and pan fried ginger garlec and cubed the grouse pouring the grouse an d sauce with a touch of curry onto the safron rice. I give Madigan the heart and liver raw. He got a cube or two of the grouse even though curry isn’t for dogs. He didn’t complain. He loves grouse and chicken.
Today my body was thrashed from all day of hiking and more in the evening. Despite going to bed early I slept in till 7. I decided to attend my on line health care professional meeting. Great time. So glad I did. I’ve not seen the group in a few weeeks since being here. I had attend a couple of wesdneday night recovery meetings at the Trinity United Church. I even kept up fast. All I didn’t do it get a swim. Merry Maids are coming when I return home. I’ll drop off 2 weeks of launder to be done too. It’s been a change from my Burnaby schedule with a whole lot of exercises. Several days I surpassed 10,000 steps and mostly afterglow 5 to 7000 steps. I town I was doing 3 to 5000 steps and sometimes making 800.
I’ve enjoyed seeing the wildlife.
I shot and cleaned the two grouse today. The Chiapas 20 gu/22 LR Rifle is awesome. I’m really enjoying the jeep. The Thor is a good home and office. Like the boat I enjoy having everything I need really proximal.
It’s been a good work/cation. I’m looking forward to packing up and leaving early tomorrow morning. Laura and I are camping and hunting Oct. 1 . We’ll having trouble getting a place to stay because so many close at the end of Sept. All shall be well
God is good all of the time. Thank you God. I joked that I’d made a St. Patrick’s praier with mechanical, computer, electronic parts instead of demons to be protected from. I sue love all this tech when it works. I like being able to send lat and long from my iPhone when I head into the back woods . I actually did sit in ambush for over an hour yesterday.
Thank you Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment