Thursday, June 3, 2021

Lovely June Morning

Laura said it right. It’s a beautiful morning. Cooler with a light breeze.  Madigan woke me then the alarm joined the gang. I walked him meeting Peter who told me an hilarious bad puppy story. She tied her 5 month puppy to a post outside the market and went in for a minute. When she came out the dog was so happy to see her she pulled out the post knocking over an elderly woman who broke her arm. Continuing her plunge to her long lost mistress she dragged the post scratching several cars.  Thousands of dollars damage.  “I can trump anyone’s bad puppy story now,’ she told Peter.  I was laughing to early in the morning.  
Madigan and Bella, his little sweetheart were delighted to visit. Then he visited with the very big puppy and next with Milow. It was a dog morning.  The neighbourhood event was a strange car but it appeared the fellow was simply waiting for the office to open. I love the way everyone watches. Nice community. But then it also struck me how the future might look as gated community come to Canada to counteract the national governments invitation to criminals from all over the world to come here and prey on ‘old stock canadians’ because we’ve made the laws all in favour of criminals.  
Talking to a friend about moving.  The invitation is open. Where to be safest with aging and increasing vulnerability. I can’t shake the story of the 90 year old man who was charged with murder and waited 6 months of his life while the courts tortured him. He’d been in a wheel chair in his apartment when a drug addicted criminal broke in kicked over his wheel chair put the boots to him then proceeded to trash his apartment searching for money. The old man who’d taken a Luger from a German in WW2 in hand to hand combat had the Luger in a bottom drawer. He pulled it out and shot the man before he came back and killed him in rage.  The courts charged the 90 yo with murder and tortured him with threats of life imprisonment.  6 months later he was free but his luger was taken and he was reprimanded for his bad behaviour. 
Meanwhile the police in swat teams have taken down ministers and kids playing hockey while opening the jails to protect criminals from getting Covid.  It’s strange.
I’m uncertain about the future. I live to camp and then to go hunt and then to go to nephews wedding. I don’t see it safe to retire here. War is brewing in the pacific. The US has celebrated the riots and mobs and Chas.  It’s all upside down and frankly I’m afraid.
Vivian died of Covid yesterday. An amazing woman. I’ve known her 20 years watching her go from early days of university, theology school, priest and ordaining. Medicine woman. Priest, Grandmother, Mother, Sister, friend.  She began the Urban Aboriginal Ministry I was on the board, member at large, early years. She was always at me to give her wild meat from my hunting to help the DTES drunks and addicts in or beginning of recovery. I gave her hundreds of pounds of moose, bear and venison , as well as salmon and she’d have these feasts with the retinue of urban aboriginals trying to find their way back to the light. Drum circles.  I brought her a storage locker of my furniture and clothes when I was downsizing and she distributed it all thanking me that she was able to give to homeless people blankets and sweaters. She was always in the streets and allies talking to people inviting them to come to her weekly meals.  Always mothering.  When her street work was formalized she struggled with all the paper work that was needed to make her work official and fit into the institutional patterns.  She was like St. Francis but called upon to be an accountant and administrator.  We laughed about the never ending learning. I loved lunches with her mentor Monty and her.  I loved her mother and just last year her son Steven and she rescued her father a residential school survival from the rough life he was living in the far north, sick in winter, and family he’d hurt forgiving and coming to help. I loved Vivivan’s big hear. I loved when she was with Andria, Jackie, Barb and these beautiful women all laughing together.  I’ll miss Vivian.  I think of her at Rainbow Bridge, meeting her dog Puka who she loved but died hit by a car. Her mother and Jesus will be there in the light. She’ll be home. The Creator and peace. 

Madigan is watching me. He gets bored and comes over to be reassured that I remember him.  I gave him fresh water and food.  Laura is coming over so he’ll be pleased. He gets her to play with him.  All he wants to do is play. I’ m no fun because I work in the garage in front of screens and talking on the phone all day when he’d rather I be taking him out to play.  We go for walks three or four times a day. I say hes’ my trainer. I ‘ve gained weight with Covid and yet I enjoy food and Netflix.  Escapism.  I need to eat less and exercise more. Naturally if I exercise more the intake decreases.  I’ve liked the lunch time lying in the hot sun on the lawn chair breaks.  

Tomorrow the second vaccine and Madigan gets his chip.

All is good .Thank you God. I’ve been overwhelmed in work and having trouble meeting the demands and having little time.  It’s the paper work that appears and I’m totally booked all day on the hour and when is their time for the paper demands or the phone calls or the emergencies.  It’s not like the laid back salaried jobs I had where one could ‘schedule’ all this.  It’s unpaid work for me and there’s a deluge of people wanting to be seen and shortages of all psychiatric care.  I’ve got to get myself ready to face the dark tunnel of despair.  

Thank you Jesus. Thank you God. Thank you Creator. Thank you God within and God without. Thank you transcendent, immanent, God of all and nought. Thank you.  Guide me to the right path and help me be kind in all my words and actions today. Thank you.





No comments: