Sunday, August 9, 2020

Commercial Drive during Covid

I’ve made it back to the Continental Cafe on Commercial.  Covid has kept me isolated. Commercial Drive still my favourite people watching place  in Vancouver.  It may be all the young people. Somewhere around here the rents or roommate situation is still tolerable. It’s always been Little Italy. The Italians have the best cafe’s.  When I first came to Vancouver in the 80’s I’d bicycle to Joe’s.  Billiard tables, espresso and televisions showing soccer. Old men talking Italian.  Cheers when scores  were made. The cyclists still stop at Joe’s.  
I liked the funky shops here. There were always the uptown home furnishing, elegant women’s fashion and shoes. But a bit of the hippy era survived.  Hand drum shops, Black Dog Video. The Britannia Pool and Community centre is a place I’ve come to.  There’s community here. There’s also every type of restaurant, now struggling Covid restrictions. 
When the Italians and Europeans moved to North Vancouver and West Vancouver, some remained but the crowd got younger. Lots of actors and dancers.  Great bookshops.  Young bodies that move with grace. They’re still here.  More colour though.  Latin and African. Mothers pushing space age proms.  
I came for years to the Alive on the Drive Meeting Saturday Morning.  Bill G., Dr. George, beautiful elegant Suzanne.  Lots of others. We’d go for breakfast after the meeting. I was graced to be in the company of George and Suzanne. A time when I felt less than and alone. I was new to that world then.  Uncomfortable with people.  Loving the genius and humor of George.  Suzanne was a model, sophisticated and stunning. I was their friend. As a group I felt safe. Alone I felt all beat up, lied to, abused, betrayed. Alive on the Drive was uplifting.  Saturday in summer with so many fond memory. 
My wise orthodox Christian writer poet friend managed a book store here.  Second hand and new. I’d ask and he’d tell me what was cutting edge in literature.  I’d leave with weeks of condensed brilliance.  I read a lot those evenings. I always have.  I worked and went to meetings and outfitted my sailboat for offshore sailing.  I was comfortable with Diesel engines, wrenches and bottom paint.  My friend, Tom was always keen for a boat project.  So was Bill.
Now I’m here with my new to me maroon Vespa 300 Touring Scooter. I used to come here with my Aprillia and my Honda Ruckus scooters. Then it was the time of big Harleys.  Now I’m wearing a pink shirt and bumblebee earrings. I remember blue and white nautical gear and black biker leathers.  
I’ve always liked having Americano coffee. There’s so many pictures taken by me looking at Commercial while I sat at an outdoor table with a variety of laps tops and word processors.  The MacAir, MacBook’s and Ipads have been favoured in the last years.  I’ve done just this around the world too.  Sat, people watching, drinking coffee and reflecting on life.  This is a happy place for me.  
Theoretically I should be writing the Great Canadian Novel , composing poetry for publication or writing a book heavy with chemistry and neurotransmitters.  When I first came here back in the 80’s I was writing in a note book.  Random thoughts. Creative gems. Little bits of sparkle someone had shared.  I liked when I had a palm and keyboard I could carry anywhere. George used to laugh about his man purse.  It was his tech sack.  Now for years I’ve always carried a purse that’s large enough to hold my laptop or now my Ipad. I like this new Magic Keyboard.  It fits well in the Roots bag
I like that among all the variety here are metrosexual men.  It’s the women who capture my eyes though.  Simple elegance. And the dogs. I love Commercial Drive for the dogs. Gilbert’s, my cockapoo always lay under my table and enjoyed all the passing dog excitement. Before him it was Stuart, the white Scotty and even Shinto, the cross setter/lab. Each waited for me to have my coffee and finish writing.  It was their favourite place too. 
Now Gilbert is at home. He’s had a good walk this morning but tired early. He has mitral valve disease and congestive heart failure.  He has to cough to breathe. The irony is  he sounds like he has Covid.  I leave him at home now when I go out. I have a hidden security camera in the place and watch him when he triggers it as he moves from his sleeping place to lie on the couch in my favourite spot.  It’s like a Nanny Cam for my dog.  He sleeps mostly when I’m away.  When I come home he gets all excited, barks, looks to see if I’ve brought him treats, Then he eats.  Laura says he doesn’t eat when I’m out.  My coming home is a feast for him.  With Covid we’ve been doing two formal walks a day and a couple of trips outside for him to pee or me to  drop off garbage.  He’s on the diuretics furosemide and spironolactone.  
Laura is at her sister’s this weekend .  They’ve gone away with her daughter.  Laura house sits.  We’re planning camping next weekend then have the Sept long weekend booked off for bow hunting.  I’m planning on taking the Vespa.  My KTM 690 is being sold.  I’m so enjoying the Vespa.  I’ve been scooting about every day since I got it.  I even explored the neighbourhood one evening just for fun. Felt like I did as a kid when I’d just ride my bicycle about the suburbs looking.  Motorcycles don’t lend themselves to that kind of aimlessness except in the country. I’ve definitely enjoyed taking my Harley just for a spin in the country. No destination. Enjoying the journey. The scooter lets you do this in the city.  
It’s the sunshine too.  Summer sunshine on the Drive.  I checked in at the tattoo shop.  I’d like another tattoo. I’ve been planning on it now for over a year.  It’s just the thought of having to avoid hot tubs or pools for a week or two that’s stopped me.  Everyone was wearing masks in the tattoo parlour.  I could have booked an appointment but I also cringe at plans. I’m working and that’s on the clock.  
The joy this summer has been off schedule Even today it was an open slate and here I am on Commercial thankful.  It’s a place of fond memories and good times with friends.  I’m very grateful.  I’ve been truly blessed. 
God is good. God is good all of the time.Thank you Jesus. 








   

No comments: