Sunday, June 21, 2020

Bonanza Cariboo Resort, Horse Lake, God’s Country

Another morning wakening in paradise. I’ve just had the taste of childhood summer holidays. That endless time of infinite possibilities.  Then  I’d wake to explore on my bicycle. I’d catch shrimp in ponds for my tropical fish. I’d hike with friends. We skipped so many stones on lakes. I hunted sea shells, identified rocks, and trees and birds. We fished. Mom was always there at noon and night with wholesome food.  She was smiling always except in the rain when I’d be home “underfoot’. I read so many books.  She and my brother and I made weekly excursions to the Fort Garry lending library bringing home a half dozen books each. The Springer Spaniel  was always happy. Dad was working during the week but on weekends we’d go fishing. Then there’d be the annual 2 week road trip.   We travelled once to the Atlantic and with Aunt Sally along once made it to the Pacific.  Lots of song and laughter and night time family conversations around the campfire roasting marshmallows.
Now here I am an adult and it’s just like summer holidays. Laura and I are big kids with a little cockapoo Gilbert.
The weather is perfect. Sunshine with occasional showers. We watch the weather roll in across the lake.  There’s RV’s and campers about but everyone is self contained, non intrusive, respectful. Old people, young people, little children.  I chatted with my neighbour from White Rock yesterday.  His partner looked like Cher.  He liked making fires. I’ve yet to make a fire. Perhaps I’ll get wood today.  
Yesterday I unloaded my KTM 690 and took a scoot about the park. Then I actually addressed the new Colorado XT I’d bought myself as a birthday present early spring. I called it an IKEA inflatable boat. The delightful salesman at the factory said it took about a half hour to assemble.  For me it was more like half a day. 
The first stumbling block was that  I didn’t have the hose for my pump.  So I tried the electric air compressor and that didn’t work after taking every cupboard apart looking for the hose.  I managed to half inflate the pontoons with the pump and a duck tape jury rig. I next encountered problems with which was left and which was right. Then it was which was the front and which was th back. I seem invariably to ‘choose’ the wrong side or direction and had to dissemble parts and reassemble them.  Eventually I got out the Ipad and found the assemble instruction on PDF at the Colorado XT  site.  Things moved along  much better when I had adult supervision.  
Finally I had it all loosely together when I concluded I’d need a new pump or pump hose to inflate the pontoons fully late afternoon.  All I had to do was ride the KTM 690 to the Lone Bute Hunting and Fishing store 9 km away.  But I’d left the keys in the ignition with the light on that morning. The battery was dead.  
For the life of me I couldn’t find how to get the seat off.  I knew there was a pull tab to unlock it. I’d changed the seat a couple of years ago with Mack and Dave as perplexed as me about how to release the seat.  Finally I phoned Holesport in Langley, the KTM dealer, and asked again..He walked me through finding the tab which had retracted and could only be found by feel.  Thanking him again and feeling by his tone of voice I wasn’t the only one who had had difficulties accessing the battery, I set about charging the battery with my truck. Admittedly I felt pretty proud of myself when the bike started. 
I had just enough time to ride at high speed down country roads to the skookum little well outfitted outfitters.  They had a pump. I also bought another reel.  I”m sure I have one but I didn’t want to be ready to fish but unable to find the reel. Besides it was a very pretty shiny one , the young guy said was made from Titanium, which sounded good.  I also bought some ammo for target practice and discussed the Nazi in Ottawa with the politically astute blond and beautiful clerk. These handsome young adults could well have been brother and sister. 
Another great rush of a ride  back to the trailer beating the rain clouds that had begun to sprinkle.  I completed the full inflation of the pontoons and the final assembly of the Colorado XT   Angels sang hosanna. Laura took pictures of the conquering hero. Again I was very pleased. 
Laura, when she wasn’t called upon, to make appropriate remarks of great adulation,   had been reading in the lounger or doing crosswords, when not walking Gilbert.  We all were thoroughly entertained by  a  duck mother and ducklings gathered in front of our camper to eat the green shoots along the lake side. Blind Gilbert leashed to the picnic table watched them all afternoon with his nose and ears.  .
With evening I barbecued tenderloin and boiled potatoes.  With butter and sour cream the tats were delicious. The tenderloin melted in our mouths.  
I was too tired to go fishing. I walked Gilbert.  Read.  I’m enjoying this exciting science fiction thriller.  Going to sleep in the fresh country air was tremendous. Laura had gone to bed early and warmed it up.  Comfort. 
When I took Gilbert out late at night to pee I stood for a while looking at the stars remembering times my father and brother and I had identified constellations. I only saw the Big Dipper last night.  Gilbert was tugging on the leash. The sky was beautiful. There was still some campfire fragrance in the air.  All was well. God is great all of the time.
Now I’m up and ready for my second coffee with a whole blank day to paint with color and joy.  Hallelujah. Thank you Jesus.   
Now a new day has dawned. Laura told me it’s Father’s Day and I’m Gilbert’s daddy. 














No comments: