Monday, January 27, 2014

Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed - the movie

I just watched Saints  and Soldiers: Airborne Creed  on Netflix.  What a moving and multifaceted movie. Romance, philosophy, theology.  Action that was reminiscent of the black and white movies of my childhood. Not about the blood and guts. More about the relationships.  And more about the families of the soldiers woven into the fabric of their day to day existence as paratroopers fighting with the french resistance.  I liked it.
I confess I was looking for a mindless shoot em up but what I got instead was a deep and appealing look at sensitive warriors and resistance fighters.  Ryan Little directed this. Actors Corbin Allred, David Nibley Jasen Wade and French resistance fighter Virginie Fourtina were the stars.
The Nazis weren’t dehumanized but everyone was simple and real. It’s sad and a tragedy there is war but those who fight aren’t monsters.  This movie doesn’t romanticize war but it does a service to the military and those who resist tyranny.  It also depicts truly how the ‘enemy’ is rarely that much different than us no matter how the propaganda machines of each side plays it.  I liked the line in this movie, “I hate that uniform.”

No comments: