Friday, July 12, 2024

The Walter’s Art Museum, Baltimore





Baltimore has a number of museums and galleries When I explained to the staff at the Marion where my medical conference is they asked me what I was interested in and hearing my rambling response recommended Walter’s Art Museum. What a great pick for an afternoon.  It was on west centre street in downtown Baltimore and the admission was free. There as an interesting exhibit of ancient art coupled with a contemporary similar producation.  The best example was a classical  Roman sculpture coupled with a similiar more contemporary work.  A ancient sculpture of a man carrying a sheep was coupled with a more recent sculpture of a man carrying a dog,





The museums Medieval art and sculpture works and the Renaissance art was on the third floor.  It was a superb collection especially a donated Venitian production of the abduction of Helen of Troy.  
I do like religious art especially the mother and child as I like to consider why the artists facial expressions and direction they’re pointing.  There were central themes like the crucifixion and mother and child that justified the expense for patrons and public display.  Many of the works I saw today came from churches and some from monasteries.  The Renaissance by contrast had a broader choice of themes as Greek and Roman mythology was coupled with the Christians themes.  I liked the armour and weapons, miters and reliquaries.   



















No comments: