Sunday, April 21, 2024

Sunshine Valley

I love the civilization of Sunshine Valley RV park.  It’s so well run.  Pools and hot tubs.  Best quadding and enduro biking near Vancouver. 

When the trail I’d planned to take in Boston Bar was covered in boulders from an avalanche I decided to head down to Hope.  I first tried the Silver Lake Skagit area off the Flood Hope Road. It really looked like prime hear country and lots of quadding trails and logging roads .  The initial stretch was a bit scarey with all manner of ruined RV. This was either an old RV tent town or a place where people left their Rv’s for junk.  Not my kind of place.  Too post apocalypse.  It was a whole lot nicer down by Silver Lake.  Unfortunately the camp grounds in the area are still closed.  I almost stayed on the side of the road near there.  I could have but it was raining and muddy and I thought I’d rather be spoiled here with electricity and water and waste disposal.  I might use the hot tub later.

Madigan and I set up quickly.  The Starlink worked here.  There’d been too many trees last night so I was pleased to see that the Starlink was fine. I watched the latest episode of Startrek Discovery.  Michael et al.  Not at all James Kirk or Picard but futuristic relationships if a bit too much soap opera talk.  I can’t fault a Star Trek. They’re as holy as OO7.  I keep hoping for another Pink P:anther.  

It was sunny then so after watching one episode I unloaded the quad and piled on the guns.  My Ruger 3006 and the Winchester Model 70 300.  It was great riding out on the quad along the river. Beautiful views.  Serenity.  I’d enjoyed my Honda Rancher up in Boston Bar till the trail was obstructed.  There was more likelihood of bear up there but this was truly picturesque. I’ve come here a few times and in the summer and fall it’s grand central station for quads.  Can’t imagine any game in that mad world.  Fun quadding though.

Now I just enjoyed the serenity.  Only a few people here.  Didn’t meet another quad.  I loved that when I put up my target at 100 yards I hit the bulls eye first shot. I’d shot a couple of times at a can and missed that so expect that warmed up the barrel.  The target was the size of bears head at a hundred yards so I figured I’d be good for a heart or head shot at lesss than that.  The Ruger is always on and I put two shots side by side on the target. I’d decided I want to you the Coyote Light if I did see a bear.  Madigan had a great time running about off leash.  He loves riding on the quad.  Further on though it began to snow. The trail became packed with snow I figured I needed an transformer snowmobile quad.  I turned around .  It was a good outing.  

Now I’m boiling potatoes and about to barbecue steaks for the great hunting dog and me.  I felt good knowing that Kevin and Anna have told me they would come out and help me if I shot something and couldn’t get it out.  I’m not as well balanced on my feet as I was in the day when I was called ‚billygoat. It’s the slippery logs that get me and my reduced stamina. Kevin was nice saying he didn’t know many guys still big game hunting at my age.  I took that as a compliment.  He’s hiking miles in the woods with his children but I’m pretty much a quad hunter now. I do some walking and am trying to build it up.  I can walk fine on flats but the slippery uneven of bush scares me now. I just wouldn’t want to sprain or break anything .   Funny that considering I used to run down the sides of mountains carrying deer over my shoulders.  Not any more.  Today was just great as it was.
I am grateful that Madigan and I are safe and can still enjoy the hunt.  




















No comments: