Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Harrison Tulip Festival

It was a great day for a Tulip Festival,  Sunshine blue sky and warm spring weather. I still bundled Madigan the cockapoo into his Canucks blue and green hockey sweater. I dressed in leathers thankful to Murray for finding my equestrian chaps when he worked on the storage locker the day before helping me apply silicone sealant to the camper.  It was a busy weekend and this ride to the Tulip Festival would top it off. I’d slept in so missed church but still we could enjoy God’s country and drink in the sensational vibrant explosion o spring tulip colours.  I think of it as surprise candy for the eyes or even LSD for the eyes.  It’s such a glorious uplifting experience each year I participate in the wonder.

This year I rode my Harley Nighster Spcial out past Port Moody on the number 7 road. It’s a great ride I’ve taken so many times. Lots of other bikers enjoying the sunshine and dry.  I love passing Ruskin where my good friend lived.  There’s the river and the smells of the saw mill.  The lakes have ducks and the gas stations on either side of the road bring back many memories.  I’d ridden my Buell Blast out this way to Harrisons and later took Laura on the back of my Harley Roadster for great weekends at the Hot Springs .  Sometimes we’d leave the bike in the big parking lot behind the Hotel and Spa or stay at the Beach hotel with the locked underground parking lot I felt safe leaving my Harley in.  Leathers and back packs and a weekend in the country with walks by the lake. Fabulous memories.

I enjoyed passing Harrison River and crossing the bridges into Agazziz.  I almost missed the Harrison Tulip Festival when I came down the hill.  It was suddenly there so I had to do a U turn and find the entrance. I’d thought it was more over by the town towards Rosedale.  Yet here it was a short way before the Harrison Lake and Agazziz turn off. 
I had to ride the bike on gravel and grass but the Nightster special was light enough to tolerate it well.  Parking was a problem because the stand sunk in the soft soil so I had to lean the front wheel against a fence post.  

Madigan had been a real trooper on the way out riding with his head out of the Harley Box , trying to look around my wind blocking body. I could watch him in my mirrors. Now he wanted out and quickly ran about the bike peeing on everything stretching his limbs and loving the freedom. When I’d packed my gear in the saddlebags I put a leash on him and headed to the entrance.  $20 for adults. $15 for seniors and pets welcome.  They had line ups for hot dogs , Greek food pouting but all I wanted was a coke. Then Madigan and I were among the tulips.  

Surrounded by colour.  What a blast of heaven!   The Mount Vernon tulip festival is much larger and the first I really enjoyed.  There are several farms so it was an adventure years ago when I first went, riding on the motorcycle to one tulip farm after another all within a dozen miles radius.  The first tulip festival I experienced was in my 20’s in Holland when it wasn’t a festival but just farms forever of tulips in their radiant splendour.   

This Harrison Tulip Festival was a joy for its proximity and for its location. The snowcapped mountain back drop was terrific for photos They’d also put out old tractors and cars around the field that kids and girls loved to have their pictures taken on, There were many beautiful women in frilly spring frocks with their daughters similarly attired for this fabulous photo op. It’s a family event and really multi ethnic.  The tulip festival really brings out the young families with the men glad to take pictures and walk with their wives and children about the rows of tulips.  Young romantic couples are definitely into selfies along with the laughing groups of teen girls.  I was the old guy with a dog and probably fit more with the single photographers out taking advantage of the photographers dream.  Such a spectacular setting and so many interesting people among glorious tulips.

Madigan and I mounted the Harley and headed back to the sitting making the mandatory Macdonald’s  burger top in Mission. He loves his Macdonald’s burger patty as long as I break it up for him. I was happy with the quarter pounder and cheese and thankful for the coffee. It’s essential to be alert and not day dreaming on a motorcycle. I ‘d started out at 1230 and was returning at 630.  A long day for me building up the stamina for motorcycling once again.  Madigan was a great partner enjoying jumping up onto the motorcycle after his burger stop.  He’d appreciate the water breaks too in the warm weather.  

It was good to arrive home.  He went straight to his water dish having had to use up his reserves piddling on everything to mark his new territory.  I put the tulip magnet on the fridge door and considered it a great day.  

Thank God for spring and the wonder of nature, 





















No comments: