Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Storm has passed

A deluge hit BC this weekend. 200 mm of rain in two day.  Flooding all around.  Princeton and Merritt hit worst.  The river overflowed in Princeton. Pictures on television of the flood streets and your favourite little cabins by the bridge and riverside with water up to their windows.  A little house Laura and I loved also with water to the window ledge. Folks canoeing down the street.  Merritt fully evacuated and aerial views of the town of islands of houses in the midst of a Great Lake.  
Here it rained so heavily for days I couldn’t remember such a downpour. I pulled in my awnings when the wind came up yesterday. A barge broke lose and beached near Burrard Brdige which was closed off with fears the barge would come lose and smash into it. I drove to the clinic and worried for my car going through a few feet off water at the intersection in front of Cariboo Church.   Many streets were flooded and closed.  Facebook was full of pictures.
Laura stayed over another night worried her little Smart Car wouldn’t get home given the flooding in her neighbourhood and the closing of streets.  Madigan and I were happy. Madigan didn’t even want to go for a walk and when he did with Laura he almost ran home, she said, a branch of a tree broke off in the wind startling him.
My propane heater thermostat simply died late afternoon yesterday. I called a ‘just answer’ tech who walked me through disconnect the ground wire to see if that would reset it but it didn’t. I’ve been calling TLC for a repairman to come out. I want a manual on off switch added so I won’t be without central heat if this happens again. Right now the electric heater is mainting the heat at 65 but frankly after the tropics I’m comfortable more at 74. I’m feeling like I’m back in Winnipeg or England where I wore sweaters whenever I was home. I threw on another comforter on the bed so we were warm last night. I’ve an electric heater for the office so will get by but right now I’ve the propane stove on to add more heat so I can sit in a tshirt without the sweater.  To make coffee I have to turn off the electric heater as I’ve already once had to reset the circuit
Laura’s SMART car was frosted up this morning. Sunshine and blue skies.  I helped scrape her windows before leaving with Madigan for his morning walk This weekend we began planning for my birthday trip to Aberdeen where Grandad is from.  The High Lands.  I’ve only been to Glasgow and Edinburgh and during Covid lockdowns I found myself regretting most never getting to the birthplace of my Dad’s dad. It had been such a thrill to find the graves of my great grand parents in the birthplace of my mother’s grandfather. I never thought of genealogy young but appreciate that Adell has become interested too. We’d never have found Mom’s grandparents home were it not for the initial ground work of Ron and Adell.  
We’re planning on coming home through Paris to see the Louvre. That’s been another regret. The line ups were too long when I was in Paris so I didn’t go Now with the love and joy I experience visiting museums and galleries I’ve regretted not going,. So another possibility. A gerontology conference in Liverpool or a pharmacology conference in London at that time beckons too.
I’m excited by the prospect.
I’m waiting to learn whether my Camper can be repaired or will be written off. If it’s written off I’d trade in my truck for one with a short box and get a smaller camper to accommodate it. I expect I’ll sell the sailboat as well since I’m less intrepid about sailing and have enough land adventures with camping that appeal to me.
It’s been fun communicating with Wayne, my cousin so I’d love to visit the family there. Thought to run out on the motorcycle but probably would do better to drive out with camper and truck.  I like that I have dreams for the future. With Covid and lockdowns and threat of war and Trudeau sharia communism traitorous alliances I feel I’ve been just living day to day fearing war or more corruption. The inflation is offensive and the globalist Agenfa 21 and Davos plans frightening. I had hope when I saw that the WEF founder was arrested for fraud.  The news is all so dark I avoid it and yet I’m affected by it So many people in despair and the world on hold.
Yet the sun came out this morning. The sun always comes out.  The rains have stopped.  I enjoyed work yesterday , going to the clinic , seeing people. I loved Laura being over.  I become to isolated at times.  Company is good. I say we’re ‘herd animals’ or a ‘pack ‘ at best.  The old rabbi’s said ‘a man without a woman is not a man’. I enjoy when Laura is here. I don’t feel the need to be all things.  Some integration occurs.  But a dream and an adventure sure give lift and focus to life.  I haven’t a clue what will come after.
I’ve been enjoying the lives of my nephews. Glad that Graeme is doing well, that Andrew Tanya Finn and Elliott are thriving, that Alan and Meagan have their own place, that Alan has a new job and Adell has her place back to herself so she can continue with her projects.  
It’s still chill.  Madigan is whining and beside himself. He ‘s like this whenever Laura leaves.  I’m not nearly as much fun as the two of us together.  He’s fussing.  I have to get ready for work even if I do work from home.  
I have a UBC CME on Covid tonight so that should be enlightening.  I have so enjoyed the UBC virtual  CME.  Given the misinformation and disinformation that is so widespread about Covid and the politics around the vaccines I’m having difficulty responding to the anxiety I’m hearing and the confusion given the lack of congruence of the leadership and elite. Nothing is more haunting as the picture of the idiot PM at a BLM rally while churches were closed and kids were fined for playing hockey.  Having been through the Aids epidemic as an emergency doctor I can say with certainty no politicians were seen shooting up or leaving bath houses bragging about not using condoms.  I’m vaccinated and recommending it but naturally the paranoids are quick to point out the hipocracy of the national government leadership.  I am so thankful that our local leaders have been responsible.  
I just got my flu vaccine at the clinic too.
Time to move along.  
Thank you God for all your wonders and blessings. Thank you Jesus. Thank you God for the sunshine and blue sky today. Thank you for Laura, and Madigan and family and friends. Help them to be well. Be with those who have suffered most with these storms.  Thank you for your love and protection.  Hallelujah! God is good.  












No comments: