Saturday, October 3, 2020

Osprey Lake

I had wanted a three day weekend. I anticipated hunting Friday night, Saturday morning and night, and coming back Sunday. The traffic was terrible. I was limited in my choice by Gilbert’s heart and altitude. I thought to go to Merritt but by the time I arrived it was dark and I got lost in the backwoods logging roads. I became scared of going over the side, not at all knowing where I was. Something had changed. A new construction site obscured the original turn off. I made my way back and headed south towards Princeton which I knew and was lower elevation. Gilbert’s coughing had been bad in Merrit.
Before dawn I pulled off in a rest stop and walked Gilbert. It was dark and few cars were on the Merrit Princeton route. I slept waking at dawn. Gilbert was better in the morning after more medication.  It was hunting time.
I could at least explore. I took the road to Methulah Lake and that’s where I saw the bear. 3-4 years old. It looked too friendly and stopped to sit and look at me. I reached for the camera instead of the gun. I was enjoying the Lanzter audio book about people of the west in the Indian wars, soldiers and soldiers wives.  It was a lovely place and I finally saw this great little town and lake I’d heard of.  
I returned.  I drove into Princeton and filled up with gas, bought a scope for my Chiappa, not liking the red dot. It was good to see the couple there. I’ve been coming to their store for a quarter century.  
It really seems the elevation here is best for Gilbert. We’d normally hunt Hundred Mile House but Dr. Pavel Biernacki diagnosed the altitude as the problem when he became so sick when we were at Horse Lake in the spring. We came down to Princeton and he was okay.  We’re planning another hunt here later in the year. I thought I’d explore more. It had been years since I headed up the Summerland road.  Victor and I had talked about this area. It had been years since I was here with Luke and Sonny.  It was cold then.  I’d been through a couple of times before and the campgrounds had always been packed. Yet here at the end of season, chill in the air, campgrounds closing, #7 site was free.  $7.50 for over 65 year olds.  I loved it.

I had the Vespa and wanted to go north to where there were logging roads leaving the pavement and hitting the gravel.  I was up at 4 am.  I actually was dressed and out the door, having walked and given Gilbert his medicine. It was 5 am when I was on the road, and almost an hour later as the sun was coming up I was sitting in the woods in ambush. I used to sit for hours.  An hour later I was bored.  Stiff. Cold. I got on the Vespa and rode about claiming I was exploring. 
The Vespa was good for cobblestones and it was good for here. I had the Chiappa 22/20 guage and the Rugger .223.  4 point bucks, bear and grouse and hare were open. I saw no more bear and no deer until I was coming home at dark.  The next at I’d see a grouse but then I was walking for miles carrying only my Ruger 30:06.  I almost tried a shot but the grouse must have had one more brain cell than the normal bird. It flew away as I lifted my rifle.  
I saw more grouse. I actually shot one. A big fat mountain grouse. I used the 20 guage on the Chiappa and was so pleased that I’d blooded this single shot over and under.  I thanked the Lord for the grouse.
I saw lots of country.
A high spot was actually taking a swim in the cold lake for the sake of soaping all over and shampooing my hair.  It really wasn’t as cold as what we swam in as kids. The feeling of being clean was great. I was conserving water.  
I forgot butter but boiled potatoes and carrots to go with the barbecued lamb. I had peanut butter and it worked with the boiled potatoes and carrots.  Gilbert loved sharing the grouse.  The area was interesting but Hurley and Stemwinder remain the best that Princeton has to offer. There’s sign there everywhere and I’ve shot deer this was pretty and it was great to explore new terrain on the Vespa. 
I wasn’t going to get back Monday. I’d lost Friday and only felt relaxed on Sunday. Friday I called in and figured I’d get back Monday noon. The highway construction adds hours to travel and getting lost didn’t help.  
I loved looking at the stars in the sky. I loved Gilbert walking and sniffing about off leash, blind and old, wading into the lake.  I loved the smells. I love the fall scents.  I loved the views from mountain tops of the great expanses of forest and ranch land.   The evergreen smells.  I loved my dreams. One night I dreamed a friend had come out with her own perfume and it was famous. I was celebrating her success.  I was a warm and cozy dream like so many I have in the woods in the camper.  

I loved shooting the grouse. I’m looking forward to having it cooked in butter, honey and marmalade on white rice.  I got a nice picture of a bear. I do hope to shoot a deer this year.I’m overdue for venison.  Victor’s already got a moose. He’s retired and goes way up north in August. I think of retirement and doing the same. Having a moose in the freezer in August would be a wonderful thing.

It was a long ride home.  Hours on the road and getting to the gun storage and camper storage.  Unpacked and showered, I’m ready for  dinner and a sleep. I’ll catch some messages. I was too late to get the post office. Thankfully it’s a short week. Coming into the city I was aware of the masks and the stress of Covid returned. I’d been free of it in the woods and now it was there again.  I felt sorry for the people who couldn’t get away.  I was thankful I did.  



































No comments: