Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Psalm 23

The Lord in my shepherd
I shall not be in want
He maketh me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters
He restores my soul
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil, for you are with me
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies
You anoint my head with oil
My cup overflows
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

This is one of my favourite biblical passages and I have over the years memorized it but seem often to only remember the ‘yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil’.....I love that image of the world.  ‘Valley of the shadow of death’.  I loved Ernst Becker’s book, Denial of Death.  Death and Life are intertwined like lovers held in the mystery and mystical God.



No comments: