Monday, September 21, 2020

Yolks and Metrovespa

I’m delighted to be alive. I’m sitting outside at Yolks on E.Hastings. I’ve ordered an eggs benny with maple smoked Ham.  I had difficulty hearing the waitress through her mask.  I’ve experienced a decline in my hearing.  I say that it was caused by  ‘guns, rock and roll and ex-wives’.  My taste has improved. Like all elderly , those 10 years or more older than me, I’ve found increasing appreciation of meals. I’m not hungry like I was as an adolescent.  I was athletic then and food was energy I could hardly get enough of with all the dancing, cycling and loving I was doing.   Then there were the ‘yuppie years’ when I really enjoyed food as a side dish to the wine. I was a connosieur then and so enjoyed a  fine Cabernet.  I simply enjoyed them too much over time. 

I’ve just finished the eggs benny which was truly delicious.  Before Covid there would be line ups around the block for Yolks.  I’m trying to look for the positive aspects personally for Covid and getting a seat at Yolks without waiting in line is certainly one..

I just drove into town on my Vespa wearing a jean skirt and sandals.  I’ve left the darling little machine with the delightful folk at Vespametro service. I have perfectly good ‘street’ tires but in a couple of weeks will be in the woods bow hunting so wanted the more gnarly all season tires that are also better in the city in the winter rain.. I love that the Vespa stops the wind when I ride. I don’t have to gear up in armour, jeans and boots. Perhaps it would be safer but I simply have always ridden scooters in street wear, same as I bicycle. I grew up in the era when we didn’t even wear helmets bicycling.  Mostly I’ve ridden scooters in summer with flip flops and tshirts and shorts so I think I’m doing well, wearing a helmet, short leather biker gloves and closed toe sandals. I actually added a jean jacket to that but given the heat forecast for the day I left the jacket with the helmet and gloves in the Vespa luggage box.

Now I’m so enjoying the city.  I had only anticipated a couple of hours but service said it’s likely to be more like four hours because one of their mechanics is off sick.  Suddenly I’m like a ‘free man in vancouver’ to quote Joni Mitchell and change the location from Paris to here. So next stop Commerial with more walking and shopping to do. I left Gilbert at home after taking him for a walk and constitutional.  Given his heart disease it’s good for him to have some down time sleeping. When I’m around he gets up every time I move.  I’m able to watch him with the security camera. When I’m not there he lies in the Masters space on the couch.  

The line up has formed around Yolks. I ordered another capucinno but wouldn’t have if I’d looked up and seen the people waiting but it’s moving right along. They have staggered booths because of Covid.  I’ll have to pee before I leave. Public washrooms are frightening places considering viruses.  At least I have a mask and can wash my hands. It’s just that really, with the closed moist space and metal fixtures, they’re a risky place.  What was I thinking ordering  another cappuccino? But it was so good.




No comments: