Friday, August 2, 2019

IDAA 2019 Knoxville, Tennessee, Part 1

I enjoyed flying United despite Vancouver to Knoxville taking most of a day. I had reservations at the Hilton on Church Street.  Great rooms and service.  The Knoxville Convention Centre, 2 blocks away, is a fine venue for IDAA.  Lots of rooms, pleasant service. Good acoustics.
I arrived at the beginning of the New Comerr’s banquet. This always takes me back to my own first IDAA. Those stewing feelings, a keen mixture of fear and resentment, some curiosity, with a teeniest touch of hope.
This year was IDAA’s  70th anniversary.  The planning committee captured the history of the association with posters and presentation. I bought the book IDAA: The First Sixty Years 1949-2009 edited by Gordi Hyde MD.  I love the pictures as much as the text.
Clarence Pearson a friend of Bill Wilson’s, founded the organization in 1949.  I’d heard a lot about Luke Reed. I’ve personally been blessed to know the McKinleys, Hyde’s, Syferts and most recently the Metcalf’s.. 
Immediately I was hugging and being hugged by old friends. I’d already seen Nathan surrounded by young people at the airport.  Art and Carole and Bobbi and Tom always light up my heart.  Dick and Cheryl are so uplifting.  Graeme C. Randy A. Tommy, Traci, Jeff, Madeleine, Ryan, Merv,  so many others. Old friends just appear out of the heavens like so many angels. 
With a belly full of good food, great stories and recovery I slept well.  I joked that normally I spiritually crawl into this meeting on my belly. This time I was actually walking.  
IDAA makes it possible for me to practice medicine and psychiatry. The inspiration and like minded doctor experience has been essential. Thanks to Ray B. Toronto was my first meeting.  I met Hank, the Louisiana Psychiatrist there. For years till his death he’d ground me and inspire me.  When the system and powers were more psychotic that the patients I was treating his humour kept me going. 
Hal’s ‘Attitude of Gratitude’ meeting began 7 am.  I loved the stories people shared of Hal. He was so kind to me when I first came to IDAA.   He chaired a meeting at the White House. His wife, a graceful ball room dancer  would delightfully dance with me at meetings.  Hal, laughing,  loved to watch us do Viennese waltz in the hallways of IDAA. 
The Al Anon family meeting was so enjoyable.  My friend Bobbi was one of the speakers.  The meeting broke up into discussion and sharing around each table. 
The LGBT meeting, with tales of stigma, anger, shame , and then recovery with dignity followed.
I loved the cyber doc break out, seeing Dave and Zeke and a cast of others I normally only read on line.
Medical issues in recovery, how to treat pain and injury without opiates and when to use opiates was extremely informative. Casey’s Law discussion by a leading lawyer was very stimulating.
The Psychiatrist break out for me is always the best.  We share about the mix of work and recovery and family and recreation.  It was great to see Charles and Darryl again. Something about their sense of humour just appeals to me.
The CME has been great too.  Virtual Recovery, a great review digital research advances in apps for the phone to help predict and prevent relapse.
Penny, another psychiatrist, is the new executive director, She presented on Contemporary Music and Addiction, pointing out the promotion of heroin in the new rap, pop and metal songs of today. She celebrated the progress in the industry too.
By contrast the presentation on Primary Prevention , with the Other Side movies and programs made for high schools was so promising,. 
It’s been two days and there’s two more to go.  I’ve just had a swim and plan to head over to the nearby Market area of Knoxville. I ‘ve already walked around it in a break ,enjoying historic and funky ambience.
It‘s just been 2 days. There are two more to come.  I love IDAA.  I’ve signed up for next year’s Spokane IDAA 2020. The people here are the most fantastic.  I learn more CME in the hallways and discussing cases over coffee,  I still enjoy all the meetings. I always order audio tapes and spend the rest of the year listening to the conference again while driving my truck in the country.  
Thank you all.  Again you’ve restore my faith in my fellow men and women , in medicine and psychiatry and help me appreciate my own small contribution.  





























No comments: