Monday, October 9, 2017

Thanksgiving Long Weekend - Driving to Nakusp and Bear Ridge Cabins

Laura and I love Nakusp. We’ve come here a couple of times before, for the drive and scenery, and for the Nakusp Hotsprings and for the fall hunting.  Halcyon Hotsprings is probably more famous but it’s become more the tour bus destination.  I prefer Nakusp Hotspring which is more down home and local. I shot a black bear here too.  I left Laura with a ruckus in town and she drove all over, loving the friendliness of Nakusp.  I love the scenery.  The Arrow Lakes are pristine. The mountains about are majestic.
We’d booked the time off months back but Gilbert’s remaining eye, with the hereditary glaucoma, flared up last weekend, causing blindness and pain. I was in with him to Western Canada Veterinary Opthalmologists and Dr. King booked surgery to remove that eye next week.  We thought about cancelling the trip but decided against that.  Gilbert has had a couple of great camping weekends with his sight this fall and now blind can continue to enjoy being with us in the outdoors.  Dr. King gave him tramadol for pain to complement the eye drops which were keeping the pressure down. It’s like a headache for the little guy and he’s not his perky self. When the last eye was removed he went from irritable depressed dog to his old happy go lucky little guy self.  We’re hoping for that. He can’t see as it is so having the eye out will only improve things.
We left Friday afternoon beating the traffic because I’d loaded up the Pioneer 500 the night before.  The clinic didn’t run late either. Laura had come over in her little red Smart Car and joined Gilbert who I’d left home with George, Laura’s cat.  There’s still so many things to think of with these hunting expeditions, licenses, rifles, ammunition.  We didn’t plan to camp so that made for a lot less ’stuff’. Listening to 730 Radio we heard that there’d been crashes on Hwy 1 behind us. We were going on #3 and there was a major crash on Coquihalla. We missed all that.
At Princeton, it was evening and I decided I didn’t want to drive at night so we stayed in our favourite Ponderosa Motel. A great Korean gentleman runs the place. Always safe and clean and friendly.  We’ve stayed there a dozen times over the years. Last year Laura and I were there when I shot a buck in the backwoods.  We normally go to the restaurants in Princeton, all of which are great but this time we got DQ and stayed home with Gilbert.  Not surprisingly he's anxious without his sight. He startles easily and barks.  We were up at 7 am and on the road shortly after stopping at A&W for our bacon and egger breakfast for the road.  They open at 6 am.
At Keremeos, a town Laura and I love, we bought the most delicious fresh plums and cherries.
We enjoyed the tumbleweeds of Summerland reminiscing about the provincial park on the lake we'd stayed at in an earlier RV on the way to Sturges North in Salmon Arm. I had the Honda 250 motorcycle then.
We liked Kelowna. It’s a thriving city and each visit I like it more.  Laura was impressed with the great bridge and beautiful lake. I stopped at MEC looking for a backwoods gps chip for the garmin. While they didn’t have that they were kind enough to give the the numbers of the other 2 outdoor stores which I phoned from there. No one had what I wanted but I did get Laura a purple wool jacket which she loved.  She’s been wearing it all weekend as I’ve been wearing the fleece jacket that my sister in law Adell got me.  Just the weather for these light jackets. Beautiful sunny days and great tourist views.
We drove through Vernon and onto Lumby which is a wonderful old fashioned town.  The Highway 6 trip from Vernon to Fauquier is truly a favourite. My friend Dr. George and I would wax poetic about the beauty of this drive. Farms and forests, winding roads. Paint horses. The colours of autumn were spectacular, scarlets and oranges.  We came on the Cherryville Cheese Farm and felt we were in heaven.  Triple Island Cheese Farm, with dairy farm and these cheese makers.  I felt like I was in Holland again.  Edams and gourda.  This is Gilbert’s favourite cheese. We all enjoyed it with Laura cutting slices we shared on the drive to the Fauguier Ferry.  A ferry ride. What a treat. I’d forgotten that.  Crossing Upper Arrow Lake by ferry in the sunshine surrounded by snow capped mountains.  Wonderful.
A short distance on we arrived at Nakusp which each year gets more funky with more tourist stores and hotels.  Not knowing Gilbert’s condition we’d only enquired about accommodation but the Thanksgiving weekend was busy so we were so thankful when Martin at Bear Ridge Cabins had a place for us for the three nights.  We’d stayed previously at dog friendly Canyon Court Motel but they were booked as was K2 Rotor Lodge.  They’re both in town and we’d planned to just eat at the restaurants.  I’d seen Bear Ridge Cabins on line and wanted to stay there but thought they were way out of town. As it turned out they were beside Huckleberry Inn, both of which are at the near end of the Hotspring Road, almost in town. Nakusp Hotsprings with it’s great chalets and campground are about 15 km out.  I told Martin we’d not planned to cook. He was just so helpful telling us Nick’s Restaurant was the best take out and pizza place and 5 minutes away.  Sold!  What a fabulous place too. While Laura introduced Gilbert to the luxurious cabin with electric heat and wood burning stove,  I made a quick trip into town buying food for the weekend and stopping at Nick’s for Pizza.
While waiting for the pizza I talked with Nick’s owner about small businesses,  the risks, long hours and rewards of serving and knowing community.  She was amazing. Her husband’s family had opened the restaurant in 1997, keeping it open by working long hours and hardly making a profit. The father in law had made all his own pastry. She and her husband had taken it over making their own bread and pizza dough. They held banquets and catered to the local and tourist needs. It was the right kind of place, uniquely original.
I couldn’t help comparing the reality of small businesses with the fantasy life of Justin Trudeau in Ottawa disparaging all of us who actually work hard and long hours for a living.
Laura and Gilbert were delighted when I returned with hot pizza and frozen Hagen Daz Ice Cream bars. We feasted and watched NCIS on cable.  Before bed I walked my little bling dog about the field in front enjoying his increasing courage as he stepped out into the darkness depending on sound and scent for navigation.  The moon was nearly full and stars were abundant. In bed with Laura it was fabulous to hear the quiet of the outdoors.
The alarm went off at 6 am. I made coffee, filled the thermos, showered and dressed and loaded the truck.  Leaving Laura and Gilbert in the comfortable luxurious cabin, I braved the cold morning to head out to the mountains to hunt.






















No comments: