Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Gratitude

I am thankful today for waking on time. My alarm went off and the sounds of Palestrina filled the room. I got up and didn't feel as sick and dragged out as I've been for some weeks. I didn't feel any great pain. My little big dog was sitting up smiling. It wasn't raining on our walk. I prayed for closer contact with God and that I might do his will.
My friend George has a cake tonight. It's a celebration. I have work to do today. Places to go and people to see. I may be of help to others. I will certainly contribute to paying the rent and as usual pay more taxes than most for the benefit of my government who is at worst the best of a bad lot. I am certainly grateful to not be elsewhere. I have little fear of torture by my government today. I'm unlikely to be bombed or shot with military weaponry. I'm not going to see orphans wandering around the streets like stray dogs. I'm not stuck in a refugee camp, my life on hold till someone will have me as my own have rejected me.
I am grateful today that the Bankers raped the countries last year so are like Vikings less likely to return this year. I am grateful that I don't have to listen to the OJ trial again and really that Michael Jackson's affairs with little boys won't be explained away again as genius.
I'm thankful that I've seen heather and cherry blossoms. I'm thankful it's not raining or snowing today. I'm thankful that I haven't had a heart attack and can still walk and even run. I am thankful for the clean air as I've known smog so bad i couldn't breathe at all safely. I live where air and water are relatively safe. I am thankful too that the majority of drivers are sufficiently mature to minimize the impositions of the frequent idiots who drive on the rode stoned with cell phones in their hands listening to what they believe passes as music while reading magazines and juggling. i am thankful for my truck that makes it likely that I won't be hurt as easily by the dangerous people out there without car licenses.
I am thankful that when my thoughts run away on me I can whistle and they come back. I have met so many who actually lose them. I'm thankful I can think and feel and that once the anger is turned on I actually can turn it off. I am so thankful I no longer take pride in my anger and see it for what it is. I am so glad that occasionally now I can see that mates and bureaucrats aren't saber toothed tigers and bring my natural response to any threat into the reality of this day.
I am thankful for my faith. I am thankful that I see this world like Plato as unreal.
I am thankful for my family and internet. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for internal combustion engines, space shuttles, indoor plumbing, heating, internet, modern medicine, global trade, music and poetry.
I am thankful for running hot water and soap. I'm going to enjoy these right now. Thank you Jesus. Thank you God of all Creation. Thank you Life and Love and Mystery of mysteries.
Oh yea, thanks for the coffee and yoghurt. They were especially good this morning!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: