Saturday, October 26, 2019

Sunny Saturday Morning, October, 2019

Laura is over. Gilbert is ecstatic.  He loves whenever the pack increases in size. He’s a bigger dog then. But Laura is his human mother and has been with him since I brought him home. He can’t get enough of her when she is with us. If we kiss or hug he’s squirming to be in the middle of the group hug. When I’m not vying for her attention he’s lying right up against her upside down demanding his tummy be rubbed.
Last night he took over half the bed on her side and I was left with a sliver of bed. I don’t know why but 5 am was suddenly ‘playtime’. He’d slept enough and was all for crawling across us licking our faces and rolling about on the bed kicking his legs to the ceiling. We were allowed to go back to sleep around 5 30.  
I woke at 930.  The two of them were snuggled together at my side. I crawled off my sliver of the bed and made it to the washroom.  Then meditation. Then stretching. Finally sit ups. The things Stan Jung rehabilitation chiropractor recommended,really have work to improve my mobility and prevent recurrence of strain.  Just like Laura’s bosses say,  rheumtologists, Dr. Klingoff’s and Dr. Gilles, the emphasis is maintaining ‘core strength”.  I always remember the two years I did Tai Chi formally and for two years after when I was more intimittent I didn’t experience back strain at all.. Now I’m doing yoga again. It’s the stretching Stan says is critical and he’s right.
I’m meditating with the breathing exercises I learned from Self Realization Fellowship, Paramahansa Yoganda taught ,coupled with the prayers I learned in Theology. I love the prayer Jesus taught “our father’, but also the Jesus prayer of the Desert Fathers.  My mind wanders to things I want to do, plans for the day, and like a toddler I bring the focus back to the centre.  The centre of the centre of the centre.  There’s a place I find. It’s calm and holy, a sacred pure place I return to like a favourite musical sound.  I focus like a arrow shooting at a target, understanding why the word ‘to sin’ means to ‘miss the mark’. It’s like threading a needle. Then I’m centered and enough. I’ve met with God. My back and legs and body ache a bit. I could sit in a regular chair as opposed to cross legged but the position is good for my knees.  All day I’ll pray, as well. 
Laura amused me yesterday recapping the story of Julia Roberts in the movie, Eat, Pray, Love.  We were skipping through Netflix and saw the title.  In the end we watched three episodes of Black Mirror, the great British series that’s a cross between Hitchcock and Twilight Zone with futuristic gadgets and notions.
It was a long week. I worked each day and at night visitted my friend John in hospital. He’s such a great guy.  Spiritual and wise. Struggling with impending grief. Adapting to changes beyond his control.
 I took my truck in and rode the motorcycle home when I left it. I called a taxi to return for pick up a few days later. It’s a new space heater. A recall matter. I put the heavy tailgate on but have to hook up the camera today.  I kept thinking of trading my Mini Cooper for the Mini Country man but so far have resisted. I’d have better vision and my knee wouldn’t hurt. Then the knee is healing and I wouldn’t need the new car. I’m commuting less too. The car is for the city and the truck is for the country. With it’s 8 foot box for the camper and hauling the RV it’s not suited for travel in Vancouver’s congested construction site.  I do like vehicles.  I am resisting the temptation. Every month I do, the cost is less. I’ve been responsible with banking but it’s strange trying to put away savings not knowing how long one will live, whether thegovernment will destroy the economy more, what one will need, how much to sacrifice for tomorrow from today when the government punishes those who are responsible in the old traditional way and rewards the irresponsible.  They’re calling the pension a government ‘benefit’ and giving the same to those who shirked. Sloth and corruption are the way of Canada today.  I digress.
“It’s a lovely sunny day,” Laura said cheerily coming in from walking Gilbert. “I met the fellow who rides the Harley with the little dog at the end of the street. He said he’s just riding his bike to the store. Doesn’t like riding when it’s cold. It’s cold but sunny. I think his little dog is a girl.” 
We talked a bit about neighbours.  Mack showed me an picture of an Akita dog he’s meeting to consider bringing home. The parents are moving to Europe and can’t take their dog with them to the new jobs.  Gilbert met a beautiful bull dog yesterday. Emory, Dave’s dog, is his favourite friend but there’s some competition from Bella the new puppy our other friends have brought home to join Stella. .  Dog world. 
Last night I roasted more Ethiopian green beans. The coffee this morning is exquisite. 
The plan is to get the guns back to storage. I’m done hunting for the year and will be glad to have my rifle and shot gun in locked gun storage. I have to take in the Harley to store it at Trev for the winter too.   On the way back I want to exchange dollars for rupees. We’re going to India in 2 weeks and I’m already excited.  I’ve files to be digitalized and that is a pressing task.  Downsizing and minimizing and organizing the clutter.  I love every step I make in that direction, lightening up.  
A new day begins. Thank you God for all your blessings.














No comments: