Saturday, October 12, 2019

BC Hunting, Thanksgiving Hunt, 2019

I had planned to go out Princeton Osoyoos way.  The weather reports of snow in the interior had me thinking I wanted to stay south. I still am getting used to the truck and camper, not wanting to go somewhere I don’t know.  It was a steep learning curve getting used to the height and width and turning with the extra length.
I’ve hunted the Thanksgiving Long Weekend for decades. Bill Mewhort and I used to hunt North Vancouver Island together.  Each year we’d plan a big Mule Deer Hunt or moose hunt on the mainland.  He knows folk in the Clinton area so hunts private land in the wilderness.  We had some good times then and shot some fine game.  I shot my first moose with Bill too.
The last year I’ve been bringing Laura up here. First it was tents and wild horses rode by her.  Then it was the smaller RV’s. I had a variety of electric bikes, scooters and quads. I’d leave her while Gilbert and I went off each day, often getting deer but mostly getting grouse.  Last year we had the old camper and it as near about here I drove off with the jacks down almost tearing that camper in two. Insurance claimed at the end of the year that the damage was old damage. I couldn’t see how that could be considering the trouble I caused. I backed into an overhanging tree as well.
This camper is a bit smaller, newer and better built. It was used as rental for a year before I got it.  I love it.
Yesterday I thought I had all the time in the world.  I drove up listening to a William Johnston’s Pearly Gates western on the truck stereo. Time flies with that kind of exciting entertainment and Sage and fall colours in the back ground. Cowboy country.  
I didn’t get here until after dark, Dark did come quickly but there was a full moon. 
The difficulty setting up was rain, fresh cow paddies and puddles.  I got situated okay but one jack has gone down 2 inches in the soggy ground. Gilbert tried to roll in cow paddy but I caught him just in time.  He loves it here. I was reading another western too.
I had a herb liver pate on fresh Cobs bread with ginger ale and a chocolate bar before bed. Gilbert was pooped with steeping and the drive and all the little stops.  He didn’t even bother me to bring him up on the bed but went to sleep in his little bed.
I was up at 6 am.  Dreamed I was with Sean Connery and Liam Nielsen and we were shape shifting as wolves and bear as disguises.  Good omen.  
I had coffee and blueberry scones from Cobs. I was slow gearing up. I could have got going before light but felt leisurely.  I was hiking out of the camp before 8 am.  I definitely went old school.  Stalking through the bush on deer trails and cow trails in the rain, I even sat on a green garbage bag and drank coffee in ambush.  12 km of stalking and walking. I got turned around and actually had to use Google Earth to find my way back.  Coming back to the road I turned the wrong way and added 6 km to my hike. I saw cows.  I saw squirrels.  That was all. Then it was all I could do to drag myself home.
Two trucks kindly stopped to see if I was okay or wanted a lift. A  handsome young man in cammo and a beautiful woman looking Town and Country with a great black lab. The next was three guys hunting. All good neighbours.
Gilbert was glad to see me. I‘d let him out this morning. Now he had to go around and sniff all the same places.  HE just had to roll on his back in the grsss.I think it’s the dried cow paddy he’s after.  A scent he can’t resist.  His other favourite is old dried fish.
I got my clothes off. Everything was wet and heavy.  I loved the wood pants. It was the perfect combination of gear for the day.  I wasn’t  chilly and I was n’t over heated.  Just right. 
Now I’m in sweats and tshirt and slippers.  I’ve had a bologna sandwich and yoghurt and coffee. I’ve fed Gilbert another Litle Caesar and some small milk bone treats. We’ve played ball.
I’m considering a nap.  Reading and looking out the window is great.  I love the camper.  I’m meaning on taking the motor  bike off the truck and making the rounds but after 12 km this desk jockey body is voting for nap. 
Lots of other hunters. So busy. The area has really built up since I first canme here. Lots of new houses and ranches.  I think I like it too because it reminds me a bit of Northern Manitoba here.  My grandfather and father would like it here. 













No comments: