Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Hanoi Pho, HomeStyle Vietnamese Restaurant, DTES

I had a great lunch at Hanoi Pho, 406 E Hastings St. 2 blocks from Main Street.  The interior was clean and pleasant, uplifting. The service was superb. The food was the best. We had springs rolls to begin.  My friend had Wonton which he loved. I had the Beef Stew and rice. It was perfect.  I loved the meal and restaurant.
Part of it was it’s location.  It’s like the Heatley a couple of blocks further up. Bits of light on the fringe of the darkness of the DTES.  Forest trying to grow in the desert of humanity. Businesses showing that there’s still people who care.  
Just blocks away slum landlords, street people, drug dealers, filth, tragedy and sadness. Yet here I felt like I’d found an oasis. 
Good food, good vibes.  A truly lovely restaurant. A really great lunch. 
It’s so easy to look at the ugly and miss  the goodness, humanity and real quality. 


No comments: