Saturday, September 21, 2019

Alberto Giacometti, a line through time, Vancouver Art Gallery

I love the Vancouver Art Gallery. I’m thankful to the artists I know who raved about this Alberto Giacometti exhibit. I’m so glad I was able to experience it before it closes next week.
I didn’t know Alberto Giacometti by name though I’m sure I’ve seen his works. He was born in Switzerland in 1901 and studied art with Rodin’s assistant in Paris in the 30’s.  He was one of the Surrealists He was in Switzerland during the war returning to Paris. His first major exhibit was in Institute of Contemporary Art in London in 1955.  
I loved his rough hewn textured sculpture with extra terrestrial representation. A large foot then long slender leg topped by a tiny body.  I loved his woman with smooth breasts and walking man and head and hurry.  His painting of a tree and his self portrait were delights.  I loved his dog. 
Again as ever the Vancouver Art Gallery has presented a fantastic exhibit.  I wandered on to enjoy the rest of the exhibits and visit the wonderful gift shop but it was th Giacometti that inspired. What great art and ideas.!




















No comments: