Friday, July 27, 2018

Morning with Gilbert, Maverick and the Austrian

The Austrian is the new KTM 690 Enduro I bought yesterday at Holeshot in Langley.  The bike needs a name and that will have to do for now.  The salesman Derek Vanderkooy really knew his motorcycles. He was incredibly helpful with my trading my Honda Pioneer 500 Side by Side Quad ATV for the KTM 690 Enduro.  I liked that at Holeshot I could sit on and compare the KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda machines.

It was a truly a whirlwind day. A call from Belinda, the office manager, saying the clinic had computer problems so the afternoon was cancelled.  Belinda’s husband has the KTM Adventure.   When I was asking around and comparing motorcycles I told her, “I think your husband’s right about the KTM being the best off road on road motorcycle today. Besides a man who picks a good woman is likely able to pick a good motorcycle.”  Belinda laughed. She’s amazing managing all the doctors and patients and the constant flow of data and people. Now she would have IT  there all afternoon.  What a nightmare!  I felt sorry for the patients but a sunny day and a motorcycle waiting. Well I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.  Thank you Jesus.

I finished my morning clinic and made a quick run with Gilbert to the storage locker to pick up old motorcycle gear.  I’ll likely need to get new luggage and such fitted for the KTM but wanted to see if the old stuff fit before giving it to Paul. He has a big Triumph and it looks like my old Harley Roadster soft luggage and leather will serve him better than me now.  Part of the trading in the Pioneer was lightening up.  It sat in storage all last year only being used a couple of times for hunting.  Only a 1000 km.  If the Quad’s could be street legal like they are in Europe I’d get a lot more use out of them. That’s the beauty of the KTM 690 Enduro. I can use it as a commuter in the city and off road hunting and just having fun.  

Gilbert used to hunt with me in the side seat of the Pioneer but now he’s blind he’ll only come along in the truck.  

The girls at Holeshot were really efficient and friendly handling the finance and licensing.  As always there’s some extra to pay but the convenience and savings from a tax point of view for a trade makes the whole thing better than my trying to sell the Pioneer first and then buy the KTM with the extra money I’d make eventually. Dave, the big bearded, laughing, father of Gilbert’s buddy, Emory,  was glad to offer his help.  He’s  got a Harley and an ATV and has been doing this for years so is a terrific source of information .I even got to discussed it with Mack, the father of Max, Gilbert’s neighbour. They bark together when ever anything new comes round.  My neighbourhood friendship network is defined by dogs and vehicles.

The KTM 690 Enduro has won all the really tough races over the last few years.  The UTube videos of these crazy guys on their variety of machines going over huge rocks, straight up little trails and across desert has been a staple in recent years, not that I plan to imitate these nut bars but it’s amazing to see what the Bikes can do.  Evil Kneevils of the motorcross.  

When I was in Saipan my friend Frank and his son did motorcross like this.  I’dwatch them together, father and son, going around the course and think Frank was crazy.  

I loved reading the Bikehedonia Grace MacDonalds Wordpress  blog this beautiful young Australian girl, travelling through Malaysia alone on her KTM 690 , something about beautiful women with their own bikes makes the tale so appealing. I confess too that I’m always dreaming of such adventures , whether it’s sailing across the Atlantic in my sailboat or driving down to South America with the motorcycle. I’ve got the truck and camper now so anything is possible.

After buying the bike at Holeshot I had to load it on the hitch carrier I’d bought at Princess Auto and put together myself with wrench and ratchet.  It sure helped to have Derek pushing the bike up the ramp and steadying it while I strapped it down.  Mostly I appreciated his reassurance that he figured it wouldn’t fall off.  And it didn’t.

I drove out to Chilliwack, to the RV storage, where I unloaded the KTM so I could load the Palomino Maverick Camper. I’d never done this on my own. Laura had previously stood at the back guiding me.  So here I was loading and off loading a 300 lb motorcycle then loading the camper. It’s all a matter of lining it up and gingerly backing up with my heart in my throat.  It just seems like it would be so easy to knock the thing over as it stands so talk and vulnerable on it’s struts.  

The owner’s son came by to let me know they were locking up.  Tall handsome bright young man with a fair resemblance of his father. We were putting together the hitch coupler, the hitch being 2 1/2 inch so needed a sleeve to change dimension to the 2 inch carrier.  It was a challenge to line up the holes and connect the pieces “If your dad were here he’d know the trick to coupling these things.”  “He would at that,” he said.

Nonetheless we got the bike strapped in behind the camper and found that the extender even left room to get into the camper with the bike out back. It’s awkward so I’m still considering a hitch at the front so I can carry the bike out front to balance weight and leave the camper easily accessible.

9 pm and I was just leaving Chilliwack. I’d wanted to get to Princeton where I could camp on the river and ride the logging trails I know up there.  I picked up food at the Superstore and thought for sure I saw the incredible Surgeon and Artist I’d worked with in Saipan.  He was with family and I wasn’t quite sure and I was on a mission. I loaded up and drank a Red Bull knowing I’d regret it when I was ready to sleep. But it was past my bed time already.  The full moon was beautiful in the night sky. Gilbert was sleeping on the seat beside me. I felt pretty good with my accomplishments, getting the bike loaded and off loaded and the camper loaded and the camper water tank filled, gassed up and rolling down the highway.


That’s how I ended up here , camped by this stream off a logging road this side of Princeton.  I just love being able to pull off the road and get into bed.  Gilbert liked the walk at night.  The KTM 690 looked great on the back of the white Maverick camper in the light of the full moon alongside the stream, pine trees all around, the air so fresh.  

I didn’t sleep easy thanks to Red Bull.  I forgot to turn off my iPhone weekday alarm too. So 7 am the alarm sounded and Gilbert began barking and oh well, I did have to pee. What a beautiful morning, sun rising over the dark green forest. This incredible motorcycle hanging off the back of the truck and camper.  Paradise.  

I’ve made myself stove top espresso with canned milk and honey.  The heater is making me hot water for a shower.  I’m thinking I’ll continue on to Princeton and the campground I’d planned to say at. I’ve got two full days.  I could stay here but I like going with the plan where possible.  Today’s big event is riding the KTM. Ready to Race. I won’t be racing but I’m sure going to enjoy exploring the back country.  I’ll also be able to drive into town leaving the camper on the truck.  By fall hunting season I may even have most of the kinks out of the system so that I can actually focus on shooting a deer with my bow or rifle. So much of the fun is the preparation and planning. I was as successful hunting when I had a Broncho II and a pup tent, rose before dawn and stalked the woods or lay in ambush.  Now I’m outfitted for an expedition. It’s not more fun. It’s less productive from a hunting perspective but it’s sure a lot of fun in so many ways.  












No comments: