I phoned Trek and spoke to Jack who was really knowledgeable and helpful. I told him I want’ an e bike for city and trail that had a rack from my 20 lb cockapoo and would bit on the new behind my jeep Rack Attack bike rack.
“We have a couple of bike’s here. The Verve who saw is in stock and there’s are sever others that would work. When you can come in we can let you take a test ride to see what works for you.
I’d thought maybe I’d wait a week or two. I didn’t need a bike immediately but the store opened at 10 am and I was there just as it opened.
Jack was great in person and the store was really dog friendly. He liked Madigan my cockapoo and saw the Harley box he rode in.
“No problem, it will fit on our bike racks. I’ve a black lab and I tow him behind me in a trailer.” Jack said.
I really liked the Vercve right off. He showed me a Borrego mountain bike with really fat tires which I would have liked for bow hunting. Years before I tried a mountain bike which had worked well for travelling in the wood quietly but I went back to a quad because it freed me up to look about more and carry game home. I saw myself using the bike mostly for trips to the mall, trips to the dog park and riding on trails. I travel with my Thor motorhome and carried my Vespa 300 tech on a rack on the back. It worked really well until I was in LA. The 12 lane free way was too much for me on the Vespa. I’d ridden my Harley Electroglyde on American freeways but that’s what the Harley is made for. Now I had the Jeep Wrangler and just wanted a bicycle for exercise and quick trips.
Thankfully all the bikes were built for a heavy load, more than Madigan and I together.
It was great to be back on a bicycle. The Trek low ride Verve 34 was perfect for me. It was really easy riding and the Bosch e bike electronics were the best. Such an advance in a few years over my original e-bikes. It fit well on the rack. Jack and the delightful service tech showed me how to manage that. I paid and they had it all together waiting an hour later. Madigan and I had gone for burgers at Wendy’s.
I had added the saddle bags remembering how important our had been when we bicycle camped across Europe in the early 70’s. I also had a new yellow green helmet with red back light and a mount for a Go Pro.
Now i look for ward to adding some go pro footage of me bicycling to add to the quad and Harley footage I’ve already taken. It’s just that the design has come so far they think of that.
Amazing.
I thanked Jack and the service tech and drove home.
Just like the Rack Attack stop I was in and out of Trek in a couple of hours. Efficient and just an all round good shopping experience.
Normally shopping tires me out when I arrived home and unloaded the Verve 3 and parked the Jeep I was ready to take a ride to the mall for mail. The power pedal assist worked great on the flat and low hillls between here and there but I had to walk the bike up the steep hill on the way back because I wasn’t in gear and was carrying a lot of groceries. The Bosch tells me to lower gear and I have to do that or I’ll be caught like I was stopped and having to walk the bike up the last 20 feet. Basch actually has a ‘walking assist function’. It goes for low power assist called ‘eco’ to the high power assist called ‘turbo’ I think. I was amazed I could do it and see that with practice I’ll lose weight as well and my knee I’d torn the ligament it tolerated the whole experience well. Now I’ve a new vehicle for the mall trips. Next up will be taking Madigan for to the dog walk park.
I saw a review from a guy in his 70’s who really loved his Trek Vervc. Older I appreciated the consideration and the positive attitude of the Trek folk.
Thank you Trek. What fun!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment