Saturday, September 9, 2023

Whistler RV Park and Brandywine Mountain

Some say hunting is the most expensive sport. I’d say it competes with yachting.  My fisherman and golf friends argue about the cost of their endeavours.  The antique car and motorcycle enthusiasts are as protective as the ski enthusiasts. The costs do make one consider leasing and renting and living on the surface.  Camping has been a lifelong passion ignited by my parents and carried on into the next generation.  My mom and dad went from army tent with us kids as toddlers to the top of the line Slumber Queen RV bus and Good Sam Membership.  
I’ve now a Good Sam Membership.  Dad introduced me to hunting when I was 6 and now I’m still hunting decades later. He loved his truck and never did get an ATV. My brother had a motorcycle.  They both hunted mostly stalking.  I’ve pupped tented and sierra camped in bag beneath the stars.  This Adventurer Camper on the back of my Ford F350 is luxury.  Staying at a full service RV Campground like this Whistler RV Park is heaven.  The Burnaby Cariboo RV Park is a Good Sam park. Good Sam parks are highly rated with the kind of amenities and service that Whistler RV Park has.  I’ve come along way from days of roughing it when I camped way off grid and shot deer in the mountains I carried back on my shoulders.  The last deer I shot I almost died dragging it a hundred yards to the logging road and truck.  We get old. 
I love the great electrical and water and sewer hook up here.  The view is to die for.  When we were last here it was the view and overall tidiness and orderliness of the campground that attracted us.  
The preparation for this 10 day hunting trip and another 10 days planned in October required me to have the F350 checked out by Coastal Ford. It’s not a wise idea to go into the backwoods with a truck that has problems.   Thanks to divorce I’ve hunted in less than optimal vehicle, divorce cars and divorce vans but today I have the wherewithal to plan wisely.  Enough can happen with good equipment one doesn’t want to invite trouble.  I had the Honda 420 Rancher checked out by Chilliwack Motorcycle.  I took all the equipment for hunting out of the storage locker and checked it over. I have my Iridium Satellite Phone for emergencies and renewed my time as well as arranging the camping Star link package that allows me to communicate and even work away from home.  It was $500 to just have the fuel and propane for truck, camper and ATV .  Add to that the few hundred dollars for groceries.  We have to eat here or at home so I don’t think of those expenses as such.  This morning I made Laura soft boiled eggs on toast with cafe au last and toast and French marmalade.  We had fresh squeezed orange juice and it was delicious.  The mountain air was delectable. Madigan the dog was happy be with us and to be able to pee outside the door.
It’s a lot of moving parts.  A hunting trip isn’t the same as the yachting expeditions I did.  At sea if you’re missing something you have to make do.  Tools are a major concern. Here if I was missing something I could detach the camper and take the truck into town to get it but the aim is to be self sufficient for the week.  I believe we’ve done that.  We’re all set up here .  

I was up at 7 am and attended an on line meeting at 8 then had breakfast and by 1030 am  had the Rancher loaded and clipped Madigan onto the seat be hind me on the quad.  Laura wished us well.  We were off. What a great ride on the Brandywine Snowmobile trails.  The views of the mountain, Chocolate Bowl and Brandy Wine Bowl .  I found the Snowmobile Hut and the little lake.  I even stopped to sit on the deck chairs and drink the last of my coffee I had in the thermos I bought at the Harrison Lake gift store. It fits perfectly in the holder I have on the ATV.  
Until tomorrow morning it’s only bow hunting season for deer, bear and partridge.  I didn’t bring my big Excalibur Cross Bow because of the bulk really.  I did bring my mini cross bow feeling good knowing I could shoot a grouse if they walked out onto the road.  Deer will have to wait. I’m looking forward to heading out early tomorrow. 
Back for lunch Laura made chicken and halepeno cheese sandwiches on sour door bread and we drank Coca Cola and relaxed.  After that I finished reading the incredible Anthony Grey novel, Peking. I’ve order his Tokyo Bay book in hard cover.  Laura and I have been lying on deck chairs with Madigan intermittently walking over us.  A chip munk has been looking at us from a rock.  The view is incredible. 

It’s heaven on earth. I’m going to load up and head out for an evening ride along a logging road trying to decide where to hunt first thing tomorrow.  Today was reconnoiter day and maybe shoot a grouse.  So far the chip munk is the only 4 footed life I’ve seen.  Still what an adventurer. Laura told me she was listening to the cheering this morning as today was the was the Vancouver Whistler bicycle race with one lane of the sea to sky highway closed.  We were glad to have come up yesterday and not encountered the traffic which much have been difficult today.  We’re here 10 days and the stress is just lifting off us in this incredibly peaceful place. 
Both Laura and I think this much be sacred ground it’s so positive. The energy is truly uplifting.  I do love my little home away from home with all the amenities. Glamping is blessed.  Thank you Jesus.


























No comments: