Friday, April 8, 2022

Burnaby, at home with Laura and Madigan

Laura came over so Madigan and I have adult supervision.  She’s younger than I am but older than Madigan. Most think she’s the best behaved.  She’s not a humper like Madigan and I’m accused of being eccentric. I like to think of it as original.  I love that my friend Anne was kicked out of her church for questioning the priest.  I’ve been accused of not tolerating fools well unless they’re my patients. The reformer is the enemy of anyone who benefits from the status quo. I love reading Bonhoeffer. These are strange times.  
When we arrived back from Europe we were thrown into work with so many requests and a full roster.I’m still working through the less pressing list. I remember colleagues who wouldn’t take holidays saying that it was too much work in the weeks before leaving practice and too much when they returned.  
I was mentally and spiritually refreshed when I returned. Touring galleries and museums is it’s own form of art therapy. So much beauty and genius.  I felt my soul was expanded.
Normally forest therapy suffices. I’m looking forward to camping soon. Our friend Kevin and Anna with the ‘meerkats’ are out hunting and fishing every weekend.  Loved that the kids were even swimming. When I was young I swam with ice on the lake.  Today, no thank you. I’m more the hot tub kind of guy. I was just bitching to Laura that ‘jets’ in the local hot tub have been off since the beginning of Covid.  The suffering. I can still use the hot tub. Maybe will later.
Next weekend in Easter.  Other years that’s been a big time with the North Shore Round Up and Easter Sunday at Christ Church Cathedral with the brass.  Now I don’t even know. The camper is still in repairs and insurance issues so it’s not like we have to head out this early.  I haven’t even got the insurance on the Harley.  Being away in Europe for last month moved back the schedule. I was glad to pay the taxes. It’s always reassuring Anil’s taking care of that.  Loved that I got a bit back into the swing of work, showing up and suiting up . 
 The first week back I still restricted contact because they said they could still do a random covid test and if I was positive after travel I’d have to report everyone I had contact with.  I didn’t agree with this. Maybe relevant in the past but not a week before lifting restrictions.  So I isolated but now no more excuse. I can be a gadfly if I want. Meanwhile patients are complaining of social phobia now. If you don’t use it you lose it.  
Laura’s happy to be home and doesn’t feel we have to do anything.  ‘We just spent a month in Europe.!” She said.
I’ve just got this pressure of the weekends and time off, desire to live the fullest.  Change. I’m going to barbecue for her.  Haven’t barbecued or made a good dinner since I was away.  We stopped at MacDonald’s on way back from her getting the oil changed in her SMART Car.  Madigan loves his burger patty’s.  Gilbert used to jones when he saw the Golden Arches.
Back in the mundane.  
I should be writing books. I could be bear hunting. I’m bitching about my back.  It hurts. Chronic psychosomatic pain.  Somatic depression. I’m thankful I’ll get an X-ray and confirm its all in my head and then I can get back to physical therapy. I’d like to hang upside down like a bat.  I’ll eventually get back in the woods. Ride around with Madigan on the ATV. Look for little birds to shoot and eat.  I would shoot a dear for sustenance but haven’t the same predilection for bear.  
Spoke with friend and we’re both missing our native friend.  So much loss when one gets older.  I must work on aging gracefully. I really felt a lot of grief last winter. Now I realize I’m part flower. It’s the flower DNA that was suffering. With the return of the sun I’ve stopped wilting. Wanting to be in Arizona or Mexico next winter to get replenished.  
Right now the sun is out and there’s blue sky. Time to walk Madigan.  







No comments: