Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Snowdrops and Crocuses

I love snowdrops and crocuses, the signs of spring and harbingers of summer to come. .  The days grow longer with increasing light. I hear more bird songs as returning species join in the morning choirs. .  I love most the buds and sprouts, poking up from the soil with snow still on the ground. They’re as mpatient as me to lap up the new rays of sunshine.
I long for my T-shirts, shorts and sandals. I love to see the  lady butterflies divest  their  winter clothings cocoons,  leggings and nylons,  shed like old snake skins. 
Everyone smiles more. Steps are lighter. Sensual. 
I believe.I have hope.  My  faith grows stronger.  I relax.  I struggle less. It’s all just coming along.  Each day a little more light. A little more spring.  Life is all so much more appealing.   Even now, in the morning I see the sky lighten  sooner. More  days there’s  blue sky, no snow,  less  rain.
The Bagpipes of Robbie Burns Dinner have heralded the new spring.   Next we’ll have Valentine’s Day. The great spring love fest, kisses and skin to skin contact. That long awaited precurser to the autumn baby boom.  The songs of birds returning, the rumble of street motorcycles.  The  Tulip Festival.  Frazer Valley. Skagit Valley.   The explosion of colour that wakens the mind.  Finally the Cherry blossoms that turn the universe a forgiving pink. 
Hiking,  camping, all the outdoor summer activities begin again. Fireworks. Fishing. Lake and ocean swimming, beach bathing,  lawn chairs and summer books, read in the late day sun. Kool aid.  It all begins with snowdrops and crocuses.
  






No comments: