Monday, November 18, 2019

Yagoda Satsanga Society of India, Ranchi Ashram

Laura and I flew into Ranchi, caught a taxi to the Radisson Bleu Hotel. We checked in just long enough to freshen up and leave our bags. Then we were downstairs catching a taxi to the Ashram.  I’d read visiting hours were 9 am  430 pm. When we arrived the sign said visiting hours were only to 12:30 on Sunday.  Laura informed me it was Sunday. The office was closed but the grounds were open.
We walked about the lovely gardens. It was peaceful and calm. There was lovely fragrance of flowers in the air.  We walked about the paths seeing what we presumed were disciples meditating here and there.
The bird song was lovely but there was a loudspeaker from across the street competing with the car horns sounding outside the compound.  I recognized the Evangelical songs and think a Sunday picnic was taking place.  Normally it’s the Muslim call to prayers that use amplified sound like political rallies. It was such an intrusion in the peace and tranquility of this meditation retreat area. A bit like duelling religions.  
I was amused meditating in the circular shrine at my thoughts. Meditation is said to be listening with God while prayer is talking with God. In meditation I just bring the thoughts back to the breathing or the mantra.I remembered so many mantra’s from Yogananda, coupled them with the Lord’s Prayer and 12 step prayers till my Monkey mind settled and I felt as well as heard the quiet despite the external loud speaker, bird song and car horns. Laura sat in contemplation as well. We’d both removed our shoes.  
After a while of silence we got up and walked over to the main building, what might be called a chapel. There a lovely lady told me I had to sit on the men’s side but that Laura could stay on this Lady’s side.
So there I was thinking of the Serenity prayer and focusing at first with annoyance on the church loudspeaker and motorcycle horns. All I needed to do was go deeper. I did and the outside world backed off.  Then I sat on the women’s side unaware of separation here.  I figured that reflected my non binary tendency.  Again I meditated for a while. Then some man began speaking loudly outside the chapel calling out commands of some sort. Again I was annoyed and lost the serenity.  Again I went deeper for a while.  Kundalini yoga. Mindfulness. Come Holy Spirit come. My hodgepodge of practice, all the while figuring God appreciated the effort I’d made to be in a holy place of his. 
I rose and Laura rose and we headed out different exits.  Outside the saffron robed leader who had for a moment come in earlier and checked the harmonium was there.  It was his voice! Who was he to be making all that noise. Obviously just a monk.  Dozens were on the lawn going through the exercises Paramahansa had developed for the school. He was calling out directions while the Evangelical loudspeaker competed and car horns blared. 
Here I’d been affronted by his voice. Laura was where the women were separate doing exercises. She found her way back. We walked quietly out of the compound admiring the flowers.
We caught a Tuk Tuk back to the Radisson Bleu Hotel.  I was hungry and we ate fish and chips in the fine hotel restaurant. Laura just had the chips, loving them here.  I was exhausted . We both went to bed early.
I caught a taxi to the Ashram this morning.  It was quiet and serene. I meditated in the garden where Yoganada had held satsangs and taught children.  I walked about some more till the office opened. Then I was allowed to join with others meditating in his room. A very quiet tranquil experience.  Meditation with others is a bit like the harmony of song, yet in this case it’s a harmony of silence. 
After a while of peace and enjoying the tranquility of mind, happy, I got up and bought some books and gifts from the shop. A postage stamp had been made by India in 1977 to commemorateYoganada’s contribution to India and mankind.There were pictures on the wall of the 200 meditation retreats.  I was happy to have come. Outside I caught another Tuk Tuk.  
 Laura was glad I was back and glad we could go early to the airport.  We checked out and now we’re here waiting for our flight back to Delhi, our bag checked through to Kochi in Kerala. We arrive there tonight at 9.  She’s had noodles and I’ve had chicken biryanis.  I’m drinking delicious capucinno.  It’s peaceful.































No comments: