Monday, September 5, 2022

Cariboo Lodge Clinton

Laura and I love Cariboo Lodge.  We really enjoyed it when Derrick and Naomi were with us.  She was pregnant then and Laura laughed because she’d hear her vomit each morning and then chipper as could be the two would go off for a hearty breakfast.  Derick and I meanwhile would be out in the woods looking for deer.
I shot my first Moose when I was up here staying with Bill Mewhort at the Circle H ranch late in the season.  That must have been 30 years ago. 
I’ve camped a few times by the duck pond where Laura was in the tent when the horses went by and I was already out bow hunting. She was excited to have the tent surrounded by horses and a cowboy.
A whole range of memories, all positive, are associated with Clinton. I’m so glad Bill Mewhort introduced me to this town all those year ago
I was with Tom up Pavillion way when I shot a bear at a couple of hundred yards. That’s always been unforgettable because Stuart, my little white Scotty dog, immediately began kicking dirt on the dead bear’s head to bury it.  Another time I shot a mule deer here and Gilbert was with me. The deer was bounding across the field when I shot it with the 30:30 I was using that day.  He crashed to the ground only to have my cockapoo Gilbert beeline to him and jump on his head , to keep him down. 
I’ve come here early in the year for bow hunting season and much later in the year when the snow has begun. I brought up a Honda 250 and rode all over the back woods shooting every can with the 30:30 cowboy rifle. I never got any game but I had so much fun those late fall days
A lot of bikes have been staying here this week. Harleys and adventure touring bikes.
Laura and I are in 108 right where we stayed with Naomi and Derrick.  Log construction. Clean comfortable. The staff have always been so friendly and helpful
When I arrived here after the picturesque 5 hour drive from Vancouver up the number 1 we immediately had dinner on the veranda.  With Madigan under the table we’ve eaten all our meals on the porch in front of the indoor restaurant. There’s a bar and outdoor barbecue area too,  We’ve had beef dip, burgers, mushroom chicken fettuccine, fish and chips. Each morning we have the best breakfast. I’ve had eggs Benedict and the rancher.  Laura liked the eggs benny.
Then we have filled the Ford F-350 truck up with fuel using about $50 a day , thanks to Justin-flation,driving around the backwoods. We don’t need to do that but frankly I’ve loved exploring,. With Covid it’s been several years since we’ve been here and it’s fun seeing the new construction. I was supposed to stalk through the woods but instead we’ve driven about slowly hoping a deer will come out of the woods to wave. I once hit a deer with my truck here after we’d been to the little Catholic Church and prayed for success. The deer almost hit the truck coming out of the church parking lot.  
We could see a bear but haven’t They are legal now.  As are ptarmigan which has had me studying the grouse to make sure they’re not ptarmigan which look similar. 
Instead we chatted as couples do driving about in pick up trucks on country roads with the dog so excited to have his head out the window. Kind of romantic.
We did stop each day to go swimming. I loved that.  It was so hot and the swim was so refreshing.  Canadian summer. Swimming in fresh water lakes. Later I lay on the lawn chairs I’d had in the back of truck.  Given the heat I was quickly air dried.  Laura and Madigan waded.  Madigan rolled around in the dirt after he got all wet.
After we’d go to the gravel pit and shoot targets.  Laura first tried out the heavy 223 and had trouble holding it up. The next day she had her 22 rifle with the gloriously coloured wood stock. It’s lighter and she was more used to it. I was shooting the Ruger  30:06 getting nice groupings with the 180 grain bullets at 50 to 100 yards.
Back at Cariboo Lodge we napped and read.  In the past I’d go out for the evening hunt but instead stayed in after dinner reading and going to sleep early.I’m enjoying another Randell western book.
It’s amazingly relaxing.  
Driving about we’d name trees and birds, spruce, pine, ravens, flickers and more. We enjoyed driving over to the Canoe Reserve.  Lovely country. Seeing the rodeo grounds the hockey rink, school and houses including the little apartment complex. Lots of trucks and cars.
I’ve enjoyed taking pictures.  Lots of grouse but the season doesn’t open till next week. That’s when rifle season opens.  We’ve always enjoyed bow hunting season as tranquil and a time to check out equipment.  I’ve shot deer and grouse with bow and arrow in the past but mostly it’s been misses and fun and stories.  Like the time Tom and I drove the ATV around a bluff right into a herd of a  half down or more deer who stood staring at us.  We couldn’t get the bows unpacked or loaded before the deer wandered off.  
The weather is always the best this time of the year.  It’s been a truly glorious week of sunshine and hot late summer early fall days.  This is beautiful country.  Cariboo Lodge is a great place to stay.  We’ve enjoyed walking about the town late afternoon too. Very quaint, 
Laura’s had her bath and it’s time for us to go for breakfast.  I tell friends we’re roughing it but the pictures of sumptuous fare and cozy accommodation catch me out.  
Another day before returning to the city , the clock and urban pressure. I’m going to enjoy today.  




























No comments: