Saturday, February 22, 2020

Gilbert the Cockapoo, 10 years old today

Today is Gilbert’s birthday. He’s 10 years old.  That’s a wonder and a miracle.  My buddy, that long, so many adventures. So many cuddles.
Plane flights, car trips, boating,  truck and camper excursions.  All the friends.  He’s a blessing.  Blessed by the Bishop.  A church dog and a puppy that gleefully showered under the shit of the  first cow he met. I had to rescue him fearing the cow would step back onto this crazy puppy glorying in a steady flow of shit.
Like he’d arrived at a candy arcade. It was almost as good as the dead fish he rolled in on the way to work one morning.  I’ve never been able to look at a perfume counter without thinking of the eau de dead fish my dog would revel in.
I loved his company hunting and sailing.  I loved his company riding on the motorcycle. Ride for Dad. I loved his company bicycling.  He’s been a constant companion in all the play and fellowship and coming to work as a loving therapy dog as well.  I have the fondest memories of his visitting Dad and my brother Ron. Dad called him “monkey dog”.He’s a good guy.  He alerts me to risk.  More false positives for sure.  But he’s on duty. He finds the grouse and raises them for me to shoot. When he  became blind and his hunting duties were reduced he just increased his cuddle time.He loves his friends Max and Dave and Shane but his best friend of all is Emory. It’s taken some time but Hank is warming up to him. He likes his  Corgi mate too  and a few other friends like Lucy are best buddies. Down east he sure likes his cousins,  Pepper and Eva.Laura is his mommy but he just loves women. He’s a little lady’s man.  A love bug. Laura’s “Little Bear.”  My sister in law Adell is a special favourite. Then there’s Belinda and Karen at work and his friend Anna with all her human puppies. He loves the Bustards out camping. Likes visiting Kirk. Loved getting into trouble with Tom. Loved George.  Always  demands girls  rub his tummy forever, roiling over on his back just to make it easier for them. . All my female patients have been commandeered for tummy rub duties. He misses Joannea,Hannah and Aim who worked with me and he thought were his assistants. He just loved to drag Aim about the community on their walks,. “He’s so strong,” she’d exclaim.  Gilbert would puff up.
Today he’s 10.  A lot of fun years.  I’ve got to get out and pick up some steak to barbecue and share. He loves to share. He’s just so happy to  be part of all we’re doing.  He especially loves to cozy in between Laura and me on the bed ensuring he gets twice the pets.  I’m convinced he’s here to teach us love. He's here to teach us to have fun and love.



















No comments: