Saturday, May 11, 2019

Turning Point Recovery Society, 12th Annual Gala Fundraiser 2019

Turning Point Recovery Society’s Gala Fundraiser remains the best fund raiser event in Vancouver.  I’ve been to all or almost all of them and nothing compares. Brenda Plant, the executive director, has a winning formula for a great time.

Rob Lowe, the famous Hollywood actor known best for West Wing, St. Elmos Fire, Brat Pack, now doing a one man show, Stories I Only Tell My Friends and loving hosting Fox’s Mental Samurai, was pure joy to  see and hear.   He’s a consummate story teller.  His tales before and after his sobriety of 28 years had us all riveted in our seats or rolling with laughter in the aisles.  Imagine age 15, asking a girl out and her saying ‘you’re an actor, my dad’s an actor.” Her dad was Carry Grant. His stories of times with President Bill Clinton or Mike Meyers or Tom Cruise were wonderful. Very witty, married 27 years, he shared his love of his 2 sons and how one had just graduated Stanford top of his class, “and I didn’t have pay billions to get him into university.”

Chris Gailus from Global BC was a delightful host.  

Howard Blank the auctioneer steals the show for me every year. A comedian and an auctioneer.  
One of the keys of the success of Turning Point Gala is the quality of ‘swag’.  Tickets to Elton John and Paul McCartney were auctioned off for thousands but who knew any could be bought at any price now. I certainly couldn’t get one early and almost, almost, almost bid but we’re talking big time folk being at this event. Telus right out gave $20,000.  West Jet is the best with their tickets to anywhere in the world draw. I didn’t win this time but I will.  I loved the silent auction items. Again the best swag. I bid on three purses getting Laura one and another couple as gifts  for my relatives. All Fossil. I ‘won’ a gold watch for Laura definitely pissing off my competitor.  Laura was so pleased. I personally now am looking forward to horse back riding in Glen Valley Stables, Langley. A psychologist has been sent to break the news gently to the horse.

 There were all these restaurant, guided tours and especially kayaking adventures in the offering. The art, jewelry and spa weekends were as good as other years.  I’m so impressed that Brenda is so successful getting the support from the business community.

The government is always well represented.  Judy Darcy, Minister of Mental Health and Addictions of BC, gave the perfect speech, brief and to the point, thoroughly informative and uplifting despite the seriousness of the epidemic of addiction facing us today.

The video of men and women in recovery sharing at Storeys, the restaurant that Turning Point has developed to help recovery, was fascinating. What great people. 

Turning Point has a 92% success rate on second stage housing at Storey’s. When people are seen early and enter the appropriate recovery programs the overall success is 80%. The problem has been people not having access to recovery supports.  Group therapy, doctors, counselors and recovery centres are all part of the multi dimensional approach to the disease that works.  AA and 12 step programs remain the best follow up long terms solutions.  Storey’s was about ‘connections’.  Addiction has been described as isolation while recovery has been called participation. Bob Lowe spoke of the long term benefits of AA but having gone to treatment centre initially he sang the praises of Turning Point and the fine work they are doing. 35 plus years they’ve been serving the community and helping addicts in recovery. Now they have half dozen recovery homes for men and women. 

As an Addiction Psychiatrist I love Turning Point not only because the staff care and the people have success but it really is the best model I’ve presently encountered.  Both the clients and the community approve of the work that goes on.  I wish I could say the same for all facilities but some that do well enough for the clients don’t consider the greater community. Premier John Hogan celebrated Turning Point years of service, I believe , because of the balance that’s part of its  overall success.

Four Season’s Hotel meal and catering and the elegant venue all contributed to a really fine evening. I’ve brought friends over the years, both those in recovery and so called ‘normies’. I’ve always been thanked profusely for the experience they all have of this sensational gala.  


































No comments: