Sunday, May 26, 2019

Westcoast Mémorial Ride for Dad 2019

The West Coast Ride for Dad to raise money for Prostate Cancer Research has been going for 10 years. I’ve been in a half dozen or more. Laura has come on more than one. Gilbert has ridden with me several times.  We’ve met Dave and Emory his dog on one run and another we and the pups headed out together. I enjoyed an early one when the pastor from our West Coast Biker Church said the prayer at the opening service. He’d been the one to introduce me to Third Days’ music.
It was great this year to have more sponsors. Trêv Deely has always been terrific but this year Honda stepped up too.  There’s a wide variety of bikes in the ride.  Prostate cancer is the greatest cancer killer for men.  Research is improving survivor rates yearly.  Dad survived prostate cancer.  These rides go on all across Canada and are the principle source of funding for prostate cancer research, millions of dollars raised. 
I loved seeing Murray again this year.  He rides a Harley and we always seem to meet at Harley events.  Then it’s long periods between seeing each other. A really great guy. 
Usually the military is there and they shoot off the gun. The gun and military were there but for some reason they couldn’t shoot off the gun. The fire department had their traditional ladder starting area. The police were present and lead the ride. The bag piper was from the Vancouver Police band.  She was fantastic. There was a wonderful woman with a great voice who sang O Canada. A survivor from prostate cancer spoke briefly. The opening ceremony in front of Trev Deely is always short and sweet. Everyone wants to get on the ride.
The prayer ended, « Help me Lord, to keep the rubber down and the shiny side up. »
We climbed on our bikes and headed out in staggered lines.
The ride on the highway was awesome.  Lee Valley was the first destination.  I love their precision tools.  
After Gaglardi High School I enjoyed the ride to Stave Lake. We ended up at the University of the Frazer Valley near Abbotsford. I was beat and enjoyed the hamburger. I only had 2 x 3 for the poker run, not a winning hand.  I got another t shirt.  I lost my flag on the ride home going high speed back to Vancouver. 
I was glad to head back and join Laura, Gilbert and George.  I had a nap. I was that tired I needed a nap. When I got up my whole body ached.  .  Great cause. Great ride. Great time. 
Save the BC Men. Thanks to all the organizers. Thanks to Lee Valley, Honda, University of the Frazer Valley, and especially Trev Deely. 
















No comments: