Sunday, October 28, 2018

Shilo-Fifth Avenue United Church, New Westminister

It was wonderful to attend Shilo-Fifth Avenue United Church.  Rev. Shannon Tennant greeted Gilbert and I at the door and welcomed Laura. “Everyone’s so friendly,” Laura said.  “The United Church always reminded me of a folksy bible study group. I used to always enjoy going to the United Church with my mother in law when my kids were young."
I’ve always loved the United Church of Canada and attended and taught Sunday School at Fort Garry United Church in Manitoba.  My mentor, Dr. Carl Ridd, was an English Professor and United Church minister when he taught me Bible at the University of Winnipeg. I’d read the Bible and heard countless sermons from the Bible as a child and teen but it was Dr. Ridd’s scholarship that began my interest the in-depth study of the Bible.  The United Church of Canada was founded in 1925 as a merger of protestant denominations: Methodist Church,the Congregational Union of Ontario and Quebec,  the majority of the Presbyterian Church of Canada, and protestant churches of the prairies, with later, evangelical mennonite churches joining. In Canadian church humour it’s been called the ‘prayer of the NDP’, (not today’s NDP but referring more to the NDP of Tommy Douglas)  It’s  middle of the road left leaning political orientation.  
Laura as a Catholic loved the relaxed nature of the community.  The songs were a pleasure to join in. The readings were about Ezekiel.   Thereafter I couldn’t get the song, “Ezekial saw a wheel way up in the middle of the air….” out of my mind.  The sermon on grace was uplifting.  The prayer was quite moving.    I liked the collective readings. Before we knew it, the service was  over. They were having coffee and potluck in the hall but Laura and I had to get home with Gilbert.
It’s was a lovely service in the St. Barnabus Anglican Church building on 5th avenue. We look forward to returning. A place of warmth out of the cold of the coming winter.

No comments: