Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Riverside Cabins, Princeton, BC

Laura and I loved Riverside Cabins in Princeton BC.  It was the May Long Weekend and we attached a couple of days off to that to get more of a holiday.  I've stayed in most every place in Princeton over the thirty years I've been coming up there. So often these cabins have been full.  Where we'd call the Princeton Castle Restort Cabins elegant, with their in suite hot tubs, Riverside Cabins  are rustic and homey.  Gilbert our old blind cockapoo dog loved them.

Laura and I liked swimming in the river years ago when we'd been there before. This weekend the river was rushing full and so many places in the interior had flooded. Laura had phoned the owner that week to confirm that the cabins themselves weren't flooded.

Instead of putting our lawn chairs on the beach, we put them up beside the cabin.

The rooms were clean with stove, sink, fridge , cable television,shower, huge hot water tank, microwave, and coffee maker. We stopped at the Save On Foods a block away and brought back chips, yoghurt, drinks and snacks.

Each morning we walked up to Thomasina's Cafe and had omelettes and cappuccino.  One night I picked up a pizza we loved from DQ mall, while another night I picked up delicious steaks from Little Creek Grill.  I came back so late once only A&W was open but Laura enjoyed the onion rings and Mossa burgers.  She actually made sandwiches in the kitchen for lunch.

We walked Gilbert on the dike each night.  Everything in town was walking distance. I love the Home Hardware. They really treat Gilbert like he's special with treats he is too excited to eat at the time but demands once we get back to the cabin.

Princeton Outdoor Supply Store is the best.    In the past I've bought binoculars, fishing lures, and camouflage clothing there.  This time I got a locally made antler handled hunting knife.  Laura loved the Shopper's Drug Mart and came away with eye liner.  It was sweet being in town but feeling out of town down by the river.  There's such peace and quiet there.

We didn't have wi fi in the room but just had to walk out into the driveway to get the signal.  This meant we could connect, gather mail and download whatever, but we certainly got a break from 'internet'.

I drove up into the woods and enjoyed just driving around the back country in my Ford F350 Cowboy Cadillac. I actually sighted in my Winchester Coyote 300 win mag short.  With shells $2.50 a piece it's easy to shoot off $20 to $30 without a thought.  I was glad to have my breakdown Ruger 22 rifle along to slaughter coke cans at pennies a shell.  I didn't see any bear or bear sign or rabbits but I did see 2 grouse and there were lots of deer in the town.  I could have gone fly fishing for rainbow as I've caught those in the north.

But I was reading the great Peter Rimmer novel and Laura thought that being on vacation we shouldn't get out of bed before noon. We did have great walks around the town. Everyone was so friendly.

I did ride my electric bicycle up into the hills.It is great on the flat but took a lot of pedalling to ascend. I was advised to have the brakes adjusted after I'd ridden it a bit.  This became imperative after the brakes stopped working coming down the mountain. If I thought my heart was working pedalling uphill downhill it was surviving a maximal stress test. I eventually slowed down on the flat.

The sun and blue sky were wonderful.  It got so hot I realized it was time for my summer haircut. Eikonic Hair Salon did a fine job according to Laura and friends.

Our stay at Riverside Cabins was  perfect. We do hope to come back and stay there again. The owners were so considerate and welcoming.





















No comments: