Monday, March 19, 2018

Porta Bote on Buntzen Lake, BC , St. Patrick’s Day

I had the perfect Kevlar canoe from Western Canoe and Kayak on Salton Road Abbotsford BC. The problem became storage. It simply took up too much room in my storage locker.

As well, last year when I was carrying it on my shoulders a young kid offered to help me. My first thought was, ‘do you know I white water canoed all my childhood and youth. Do you know I did the mighty Winnipeg River. Do you know Ive portaged miles from lake to lake in Northern Manitoba and Northern Ontario?” What I did say though  was “thank you, thank you.”  Profusely. 

 I was staggering down  a hill through trees and and bushes over uneven ground and rocks and boulders thinking I’d been a couple of years younger since I’d last done this.  Somehow the canoe had become heavier. It was probably one of the largest ones WC &K had. I’d envisioned bringing moose I’d shot out of woods with it. I did catch  one fish with it  and shot one duck with it’s help.   It did provide evenings and days of enjoyable lake canoeing, never saw white water or streams and lived a good life.  We’re it not for the storage issue I’d have never parted from it.

I also have to admit, I’m getting older. I ‘m lightening up and  scaling down.  I have an inflatable on my sailboat and an inflatable kayak I’ve used maybe once.  I sent my AB hard bottomed with 20 hp honda down to Hay Bay for the nephews to use. The sailboat GIRI is on land waiting another expedition. .  I have a 2.5 hp Honda engine and an electric.   I was looking through the internet for storage  solutions and discovered the  Porta Bote.  

A folding boat. Really.  What a novel idea!

Next one appeared synchronistically on the side of RV near by.  It was taunting me.   Another great idea. Lock it to the side of the RV for storage . I’d only thought it would fit flat in the storage locker. Now I liked that it could be mounted on the RV ready for use.   It looks just like a surf board and not  much wider.  A few inches altogether. There’s a 10 foot and and 8 foot and one bigger. 

It was at the BC Sportsman Show. Maple Marine Services of Langley, 20693 Langley Bypass, a few blocks from the centre of town, is the distributor.  They had a booth at the BC Sportsman Show at Abbotsford Tradex. I’d spoken to them at the Vancouver Boat Show but they hadn’t brought one there. I wanted to see and lift one.  I was afraid they’d be too heavy but they’re manageable. They also come with wheels which is how I had transported my ocean going folding kayak.  I just have to order the wheels. The paddles and seats came with it.  

At Maple Marine, the staff were great.  “If you’re using it mostly for yourself and the dog and maybe one other , then the 8 foot is fine. But if you’re using it with another person and the dog or maybe even want to ferry three people, then the 10 foot is the way to go. It’s also our most popular size”. 

I got the 10 foot one. The Maple Marine staff  loaded it on my Mini Cooper S.  The greens matched colour.  Very fashionable. 

I  texted my friend Kevin about all the good deals on aluminum fishing boats they had at Maple Marine. His wife Anna and the kids are great fisher folk.  A good place to buy gear, small enough to be personal but big enough to have lots of great stock.

Eric, from Star Fleet RV, mounted the brackets for the Porta Bote through my RV side ensuring it wouldn’t be going anywhere soon. Eric does amazing work.




Laura was indispensable.  I’ve been “aware” of my back this last couple of months, usually a psychic

indication that government is somehow stabbing me in the back. Probably the consequence of carbon taxes or sociopaths bearing false witness.  Laura isn’t judgemental having injured her back once.  She kindly helped me carry the Porta Bote to my truck. I can lift alone  but we had to  maneuver around picnic tables and bushes and it was  just so much easier to ask for helped.   Also a woman looks darn sexy carrying the front end of any boat.    I will get the wheels for future now that I know how easily it will assemble beside the truck and can be wheeled to the water from anywhere near then.

At Buntzen Lake I unloaded the boat  and  Laura and I carried it to the water’s edge.  Laura read the excellent instructions showing me the pictures as I put it together. I’d seen an excellent video which showed it could be put together in 15 minutes. It took me a little over 30 minutes. It’s going to be faster now that I know what to expect.  

I pushed it into the lake for the inaugural immersion. I’d forgotten the champagne bottle to break across the bow.   I used a cut up water bottle as a bailer though. . I didn’t need to use it .  The boat remained dry as a bone. No leaks.  Smooth rowing. Moves like a skiff. Lots of maneuverability. Really comfortable. 

Laura is not by nature intrepid these days. .  She has all manner of laurels for just  hanging out with me.    She did motorcycle as a kid but traded her motorcycle in for a washing machine when she had her first child. Gilbert’s blind and he’d rather stay with her than  adventure with me.  He acts like he’s protecting her.   I convinced them both to join me though. A kindly gentleman who like several others had admired the boat now came to  hold the bow  at the dock so the dog could jump down on the seat and Laura could step down after. 

 “I don’t want to go out any further. Just around here.”

“Alright, I’ll just row us about close to shore.” 

Gilbert was delighted with the boat. He’s had to deal with squishy inflatables and tippy canoes so this stable sturdy little boat  was all a dog could want. He preferred my big sailboat but has been in every boat with me since he was a puppy 8 years ago. Now he’s a blind dog and I could tell he really liked this boat.   I rowed and Laura relaxed.  Gilbert was in dog heaven.

I began singing “Michael row the boat ashore” and Laura laughed. 

After a while I brought us ashore.  Boats must be off Buntzen Lake by 630 pm.   The park closes at 7 pm.  The Porta Bote  is just skookum.



It was really easy to take apart, 10 minutes max,  to fold it down. Laura helped me carry it back to the truck.  The three seats that give it it’s sturdiness  stowed easily in the back seat of the Ford F-350
Lariat.    

Driving out of the park we picked up an ice cream bar.   Both of us agreed, what  fun the afternoon
had been.

The next outing I’ll take the electric motor.  Buntzen Lake only allows electric. I charged my marine battery and tested the electric motor that night and amazingly the thing still runs.   I’m excited now to get out on the lake with a motor and the dog. I may even catch some trout trolling or casting.

I like too that the British Everest Expeditionary group carried the Porta Bote up Everest to cross a lake high up that famous mountain to shorten the distance of their overall climb. Not that I plan to climb Everest.  It’s just  nice to know I’m geared up for it:)













No comments: