Thursday, January 11, 2018

Podcasts and Automobile Auto pilot

Commuting has for me been ad tedium. Once I’ve shaved, dressed, read my emails and answered my texts and read Facebook I’m often left with nothing else to do driving to and from work.
Sirius radio was a salvation for a year with excellent classical music which unfortunately occasional played Brahms that puts me instantly to sleep.  The Gospel music was however excellent and gave me pause to consider the concept of sin.  Drivers who do not use their turning signals are sinners.  There is a special place in hell prepared for them.
I have liked my hands free telephone but found after a while until strangers and distant family members came to recognize that I was only phoning them to talk because I was particularly bored in traffic congestion.  I don’t think it was considerate of me to say, “gotta to go, traffic moving so no need to talk to you anymore.’
What has saved me most are the Pod Casts, I university and Audio books.  I really do need an automobile auto pilot and do appreciate all the effort that various inventors and engineers are putting into developing such.  I like to read when I’m commuting and find that when I’m sitting in the back seat reading and there’s no one driving the car doesn’t move or swerves about erratically on the freeway.
The pod cast I’m most enjoying now is Ancient and Medieval Church History by Covenant.  I just learned the seven Sacraments yesterday, though St. Francis said there were some 30, 7 seemed the agreed number, Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist/Mass, Ordination, Marriage, Last Rites. I’ve missed one but having married 3 times I expect I’ve made up for that and done sufficient penance as well.  Ordination obviously isn’t for everyone and my doctor has suggest my girth gives reason to lay off the bread and I passed my life’s share of wine decades back so am beginning to look forward to the last rites as probably not something to sneer at.  I’ve listened to some thirty or so of these and they’ve all been incredibly informative teaching me all manner of things about Wycliffe, and Acquinas, Murder in the Cathedral, various Creeds and Popes and much the average Christian doesn’t know a thing about. It’s equally true that Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Pagans and Aetheists are wholly ignorant of much of this material and would do well to listen.

The University of Arizona Medicine Grand Rounds are particularly good. The Neurology Grand Rounds from the University of Arizona are the best but it’s hard to pay attention driving to the MRI’s and CTScan’s presenters are pointing to with all the bad drivers one encounters on the Vancouver freeways these days.  The Psychiatry Grand Rounds from the University of Arizon are indeed very detailed and informative but being a psychiatrist I find I’ve tended to know most of what they’re talking about and have momentary bouts or road rage because I disagree and begin shouting at the presenters.

The Seattle Pacific University podcasts have been very well put together with the Sex ones particularly hot.

The Stuff You Missed in History podcasts are a blast with all manner of dirt and detail that really is entertaining.  I love these as much as I like the Why Factor by the BBC World Service.  The Why Factor series dealing with shaving and high heels and other fashion matters was especially entertaining.

I have listened to the Oxford University pod casts but so far they’ve been less appropriate for driving and seem more made for listening in a lecture class.  The material is good but they could learn a trick or two from the Boston Blackie Old Time radio shows.

These are just some of the pod casts I’m enjoying this last month or so but the material on any given day is so much better than the increasingly propagandistic and stupid CBC news material which is aired during commute time for maximum Cultural Marxism brainwashing and other Liberal cowshit.
Further the music on AM/FM radio is as bad today as my father found the music I listened to years past.

IUniversity also has superb podcast material even is the art presentations and art history presentations have the most interesting visuals that make driving a major distraction.  Audiobooks are good too but whereas podcasts are commonly a half hour to an hour an audio book is often 10 hours. Recently on a long drive we so enjoyed Evanovitch’s Hard Twenty Four novel because it was light and fairly fast moving.  I wouldn’t think Dostoevsky would make for a good audio book experience. In the past driving all night I’ve found war and sci fiction written in a kind of comic book manner all I could manage as more intelligent pieces tend to put one to sleep on long drives.

I miss commuting on trains in England when I had a seat and could write and read while glancing at the beautiful country side.  Riding on buses standing isn’t at all enjoyable by comparison so one gets the impression that the designers consider moving people as a kind of freight rather than consideration of the experience.

Hence the need for Automobile Autopilots.  I can’t wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we will see what you think about auto pilot when the auto pilot
swerves around a car into head on traffic

haykind said...

Alright I need a chauffeur:) But not a suicidal one.