Monday, December 25, 2017

Driving the Mini Cooper from Eureka to San Francisco, Christmas Day

Christmas Eve we stopped at dog friendly Motel 6 Eureka. Eureka Christmas Eve!
While we were sleeping in the Motel 6 Jesus was being born for approximately the 2017’s time.
Laura and I slept in.  While Laura was showering I walked Gilbert and got us coffee.
10 am we got started. The weather was incredibly warm.  Fragrant sea air.   Heading south we passed through more Red Woods.  Then valleys of lovely farmlands.  California hills with dry yellow grass appeared. Laura pointed out the pampas.  It was terrific seeing palm trees.
Eventually we passed Marin County. So many memories of living in San Rafael, anchoring in Sausalito, eating breakfast in Tiburon. Then Golden Gate Bridge appeared.  I love the Golden Gate Bridge.  Passing over it, passing under it.   Sailing in the SV Giri from Vancouver in fog.  Sailing out from under it to cross the Pacific solo in winter.  I love that Bridge.  Now Laura, Gilbert and I  in the Mini Cooper were passing over it again.  What a rush!
We drove about San Francisco a bit.  There was just too many cars.   A line up of cars just  to get to Fisherman’s wharf turned us back.  I’d tied my sailing boat to Pier 39 so what more is there to do there.  Laura had been to San Francisco too. We began singing, "Do you know the way to San Jose? and headed south.
We kept on to Soledad.  We're here in dog friendly Soledad Motel 8.

Three Macdonald’s Restaurant pit stops fueled the road trip. Gilbert loves Macdonald's plain beef patty. Those MacDonalds staff were amazing, working so hard and efficiently on Christmas.

Gilbert liked the rest stop walks too, the international au de dog poo and piss.

I love the Mini Cooper. Laura loved the Hail Mary roof  handle.   While I was doing 65 miles on serpentine highways she told me the Mini's were rally cars. I loved driving down the  amazing California highway 101.

 Incredible!  Roadtrip! Christmas day roadtrip!

















No comments: