Monday, November 12, 2018

Remembrance Day and St. Barnabas Anglican Church, New Westminster, BC

I loved to go the Remembrance Day services when my RCAF father was alive.  One of my fondest memories is of him sitting with the WWII vets at the Vancouver cenotaph. I was so proud.
Yet the Rembrance Day  services were outside ,I was down with flu, and back pain made standing for a service level less appealing. Attending church seemed the more physically wise decision.
Laura and I like St. Barnabus Anglican Church because they are dog friendly.  It was the right decision.  Gilbert and I had met Rev. Emilie Smith but Laura hadn’t.
 “I really liked her.” Laura would later say.  “She’s so uplifting but also so down to earth.’  Gilbert liked her dog and Laura liked that her dog had it’s own pillow bed.  The congregation was small and intimate.  There’s a sense of community.  We’re outsiders but we felt welcomed.  
I loved that Rev. Smith talked about the ‘war to end all wars’ and that Remebrance Day was not to glorify war but to honour the men and women who made such sacrifices for peace.
In a very inspired and moving moment, Rev. Smith walked away from the altar to the walls where there were plaques recalling the men of St. Barnabus Congregation who had fought and some who had fallen in the war. She read the names. She shared of her own experience of Remembrance Day growing up in BC Interior and asked others to share of their experience of those who’d been in war.  Some did.  In her sermon she spoke of the women and orphans and the call to Christians to care for the widows and orphans.
I felt at home as she spoke of love.  I felt the living water of Christian spirituality wash over me.  Grace.   I enjoyed the Prayers of the people. During the service Laura pointed up as we heard the planes flying over as part of the Remembrance Day fly overs.  I thought of my RCAF father and mom and all the air shows we attended as children. My neighbour Mack who had attended the Langley Remembrance Day service would name off the old war planes that had participated. I told him Laura and I had heard them in church.
The piano was vibrant.. I loved the hymn ‘Come and Fill Our Hearts.’I was sorry we arrived late as the first hymn’ Be Thou My Vision’ is one of my all time favourites. Seeing it chosen gave me the sense I really was in the right place that morning. 
Gilbert loves the Peace when everyone greets each other individually. A little girl clapped her hands and greeted him.  He was also able to get enough leash to sniff the reverends dog.   Laura and I smiled and shook hands with all the fine and welcoming people.  
Eucarist.  Communion. Breaking of bread.  Partaking of the Blood and Body of Jesus. Finally the Sending out.  Reverend Smith, said “Go forth in peace and love, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit.’ And we all said, “Thanks Be to God”. 
There was coffee after and I was tempted but with a cold and feeling tired I was glad when Laura said another time as we had to get home today.  
Such was another great Sunday service.  






No comments: