Friday, April 27, 2018

It is a great day to ride a Harley!

It’s a great day to ride a Harley!  I just drove out to Langley on my glorious Electraglide.  Trev Deeley kept it all winter in the warm with a special blanket and oil toddies. Once a week the staff gathered around the bikes and sang Biker Lollabies.  Steppenwolf’s Born to be Wild. Then in the spring they checked it out and tuned it up so I didn’t find myself splashed across the road because of poor maintenance.
I had to pick up some wheels for my folding Porta Bote from Maple Marine.  Any excuse to ride on a spring day like this is Godly.
Now I’m sitting at Barnes Harley where I once traded my 600 Buell Blast for a HD 1200 Roadster.  I loved that Roadster.  It took me all over BC often with Laura on the back. I even road it on logging roads and commuted to and fro work in the city.  I’ve loved the maintenance at Barnes and Trev.  I wanted to go to Sturges and Gilbert had joined me.  He liked a bigger bike so we took a deal at Trev one day and I graduated to the Electroglide. I’d sat at one in the Abbotsford Bike show. That always seems to be the way to stoke the imagination.
Riding to Sturges from Vancouver was an unforgettable experience. ZZ Top.  Doobie Brothers.  Buffalo Chip.  I dream of going back. I’ve a Toy Hauler now so might haul the bike, getting out at the festival and acting like I’d ridden all the way from Vancouver Canada.  At least I’ve done it once. Nothing like seeing the antelope in the fields of Montana.  I loved the wildlife. Cowboy country and the modern Harley Davidson iron steed.  There is simply no motorcycle made for the American freeway like the Harley Electroglide.
I’ve jut  been over at Holeshot Motorsports.  I’ve got a Honda Pioneer 500  side by side quad for hunting. It takes up a lot of room in storage.  Gilbert had become old and blind. I got it for him but he prefers the warmth and comfort of the truck.  I really enjoyed the year I had a Honda 250 CRF Enduro and road all over the back roads. I was supposed to be hunting mule deer but really all I shot was cans. What a great time. I also road the enduro year round whereas I'd treat my Electroglide like the Cadillac it is and don't trust the slippery Vancouver streets with the stoned Vancouver drivers.
Now I’ve come to love the Honda 1000 African Twin CRF. So I sat on one again.
If only Harley would take their 883 and give it some off road capacity. The Harley 1200 was the motorcycle used throughout WWII.  Harley are built to take a beating.  I’d rather they move in that direction than electric motorcycles which they’ve got coming out. They once had a 500 and I’d think that would be a sweet machine to make into an enduro or adventure bike.  As it is Honda is the go to place for off road and durability.
I’m back at Barnes having a coffee. It' s hard to believe I felt at death door with an abscessed tooth last week and letting the mismanagement and corruption in government get to me.  It's all above my pay grade. All I've got is this "sunny afternoon in the summertime."
Being a member of the H.O.G., Harley Owner’s Group,  I’ve just been upstairs in the Harley lounge.  When I’ve ridden in Canada and  especially in the US,  I’ve loved stopping at Harley. They’re watering holes and club houses and just destinations. Like today.  It’s hot and sunny.  A beautiful day to sit outside on the Barnes patio. Lots of bike roars. Leather people coming and going.  Pink Cherry blossoms on the trees. The good feel of people with purpose.
 It’s a great day to ride a Harley!





No comments: