Friday, April 29, 2016

John 1:5

John 1: 5  “The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."
I read this today in the the one year Bible App. I’d read the Bible with a One Year Bible Book a decade or so again.  One of the times I read the Bible cover to cover realizing how each reading of the spiritual text provides a deeper meaning.  The app and the book simply break up the Bible into a daily reading which if one is religious about it results in the Bible being read fully by the end of the year.  Having done this several times I’ve missed days and either gone back and read those bits or just moved on staying with the calendar.
I’ve read John 1 countless times but today was comforted by this line today. “The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not over come it."
I was thinking of cancer, fear and anger.  I was thinking also of prayer as that light. I was thinking of purpose and direction.  All those grand ideas and ideals that move life forward.  Those are the light. Like love.  They move forward into the darkness.  The mystery is solved as the light illuminates.
I lose faith so often and them am reminded of my personal insignificance but that despite that there is this oneness of force and energy I can tap into with prayer.  I can rise above my cynicism and negative and know that the darkness will not overcome the light.  The light pierces the darkness.
It’s a new day.  I’m off to work. There’s a theatre production tonight.  I’ve perused Facebook and seen that my friends are still there, each in their own lives most of them rather funny.  We share a lot of humour.  I love the humour of my friends.  Humour is a light.  Its is not overcome by the darkness of despair.
I love my psychiatrist mentor friend, Dr. Phillip Ney who said, “Bitter old people are a dime a dozen.  You can become one or choose to be something different.”
I’ll shower before going out to work today and put on some clean clothes.  I notice that most people ,except maybe those who I see at Walmart sometimes, late in the evening, still do this.  But few, including myself, dress up and clean up the insides.  I have such a tendency to complain, especially about government and taxes, to be negative about the waste and laws and bureaucracy.  I waste parts of my day complaining and even sometimes gossiping.  Here I am given this wonderful capacity of speech to sing praise and thanks and I use it to whine.  I must remember at least today to celebrate life.  The light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not over come it.
We will not be defeated.  Will will overcome.
Thank you God. Thank you Jesus.

No comments: