Friday, April 29, 2016

I dropped my motorcycle

I ride a Harley Electroglyde 1600 CC with full luggage. I dress in all the black harley gear with the hot black half helmut.  Outfitted and ready to go I look like Steven Segal.  Really.  I'm a big guy. It's a big bike and I look good.

I'm a little concerned about my cockapoo's effect on my image. He rides in the seat behind me.   He'd just been to the salon.  Normally a bearded Grizzly Adams kind of mutt after being shaved he's kind of cute and adorable.  He's my side kick, my bud, my room mate, my friend.  It's not like I can leave him at home. He likes to be included.  We get along.

But I worry about my image. Without him I can really pass as bad ass.  But with him sitting up in his box all perky and freshly shaved, well, I don't know.

It didn't help that last night when I was stopped at a turn I just dropped my bike.  I've done it before.  It's not like I'm going forward and I slide out. There's no drama.  I'm just not paying attention and slyly the 1000 pounds of bike takes that moment to lie down on it's slide.

My Harley is really like a horse that way.  Sometimes a mind of it's own.  Some days I expect to find it chewing on grass rather than parked on pavement.

The dog wears a harness on the bike and has a short leash that holds it into the box with the harness. So he wasn't even flummoxed by this chain of events.  Harley wants to lie down. I'm now leaning sideways. And master is upset about something.

It's embarrassing.

I really don't think about image that much but when my bike is lying on its side the one thing that is happening is I am embarrassed.  I feel like a fool. I feel ridiculous.

No one cares. The universe is not watching only me at that moment.

I think women are giggling somewhere too.  That's the problem guys who have been divorced have. They here their ex enjoying their discomfort somewhere.

It's shame.

I looked at Gilbert though and he wasn't bothered by it.  Probably thinking it was planned.

Meanwhile I can't seem to get the bike up. The trick is to stand with your back to the bike and holding onto low use your legs to push yourself back up. I've done it once before when my last bike decided to lie down when I'd stopped at an intersection wet leaves on the road.  That bike was only 500 lbs but before I'd hardly got off too gorgeous young college girls had run over and helped me get the bike up right. They'd had a heck of a good time helping out Grand dad.

Now this time, a terrific guy jumped out of his car and offered to help. It's nothing for two people get the bike straightened up.  It's more about balance and push than lift.

I thanked the guy profusely. He really was an angel.

I looked the bike over. Not even a scratch.  No oil leak.  Gilbert entertained.  Ready to continue.

I drove on.

Thinking about Winnipeg.  Because of the snow in that city everyone every year it seems helps someone else get their car unstuck. Often a half dozen guys and sometimes girls are pushing someone out of snow drifts they've slid into. It's so easy to get stuck in Winnipeg and no one judges.  Everyone just pitches in and helps. No one is hurt and the event is as close to an old time barn raising as a group gets spontaneously.  It comforts you and reminds you of community.

Too often I read the news and forget that the vast majority of neighbours are good neighbours.  This young guy literally jumped out of his car to help and with the bike upright was waving as he jumped back into his own vehicle.  He didn't need or expect anything for his helping. He was just being a good neighbour, a good Samaritan, a good guy.

There's not much snow on the Coast. We live rather isolated lives and the sense of community in this affluent port city isn't the same as it is in a place like Winnipeg where winters make you rely on your neighbours.

As silly and ridiculous and embarrassing it is for a hip slick tough old biker dude to drop his Harley Davidson cruiser motorcycle, it was really good to be touched by the neighbourliness of that fine gentleman.

It was also good to know that Gilbert my cockapoo was safe in his box and wouldn't fall out. If anyone asks I dropped the bike on purpose to 'test' the safety of Gilbert's bike.

Yea that's what I was doing.

Right Steven Segall!  (and not a word out of you Gilbert the Cockapoo)

No comments: