Friday, December 4, 2015

The Way



Acts 9  NIV Study Bible
Reading Acts 9 I see that the Jews called the early Christian movement, the WAY. This tells of Saul who was the representative of the Synagogue who was persecuting the Christians before he himself was converted.  He had been a leader of the Synagogue and was sent to  Damascus to root out any disciples. 
 "A light from heaven flashed around him . He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him 'Saul, Saul why do you persecute me?'
'Who are you, Lord?'  Saul asked.
I am Jesus who you are persecuting,'Now get up and into the city and you will be told what you must do ."

"For three days he was blind and did not eat or drink anything."

The Lord said to Ananias "Go this man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name. 

I like the term the Way. It's a journey this spirituality.  I like the metaphor of travel and progress even now as I feel stagnating. Even now as I struggle to forgive and once again face another Christmas grieving the loss of my parents and aunts and all those I've known who are missing around the table at Christmas.  I think about my own mortality and sickness and death.  
I know eruditely that blindness for 3 days is a message .  It's not literal. It's like Jonah and the whale.  I know the power of three.  I love the trinity as I do DNA.
Then I think of how I so often have been irritated by Paul's explanations and interpretations but here the Bible says he is chose and he will suffer.  Because we all suffer being Christians. Not onnly are we persecuted but in our turn, like Saul, we persecute Jesus and his disciples.  We do not love each other as he loved and we do not forgive as God forgives.  
I will begin a new days and hope I can do better. I hope I can be more loving more open to learning more present, more grateful.  Thank you Jesus.

No comments: