Thursday, February 26, 2015

Love of Books

For me, today has turned out to be a bibliophile’s day of days.

First, William Hay Writer VI, Volume 1 and 2 arrived .These are the hard copies of my blog which I have produced every so often just in case a neutron bomb goes off and destroys the digital record. In the world after the apocalypse I can be assured then that a copy of my blog exists in paper which will be found a million years from now so I can have a writer’s equivalence of  “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Journey"

I’d  also just  received Norman Doidge MD’s book “The Brain’s Way of Healing”.  I thoroughly loved his first book, The Brain that Changes Itself. It’s been so helpful for my patients who suffered head injury so I was very thankful he took the time and trouble to add to that classic.  

Now the piece de resistance arrived this afternoon. This is The Textbook of Addiction Treatment: International Perspectives, Volume 1-4 by Nady el-Guebaly, Giuseppe Carra, Marc Galanter Editors, Springer Reference, 2015.

I don’t know where I’ll find the time to read these but somehow I’ll endeavour to.  It’s worth it. Right now I’m just so enjoying their smell, presence and feel.   I’m just loving the aesthetic of books and the work of book publishers. Hard cover books are a thing of beauty.  My book is a writer’s journal in print whereas the Doige book and the Textbook of Addiction Treatment are masterpieces.  

IMG 8157IMG 8166IMG 8165IMG 8158IMG 8164IMG 8159

No comments: