Friday, September 19, 2014

God

“Plead thou my cause, O Lord, with them that strive with me, and fight thou against them that fight against me.
Lay hand upon the shield and buckler and stand up to help me.
Bring forth the spear and stop the way against them that pursue me, say unto my soul, “I am thy salvation."
Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul; let them be turned back and brought to confusion that imagine mischief for me.
Let them be as the chaff before the wind with the angel of the Lord scattering them.
Let their way be dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them.
For they have hidden their net for me without a cause, yea, without a cause have they dug a pit for my soul.
Let a sudden destruction, come upon them unawares, and his net that hath hid catch himself, that he may fall into his own mischief.
And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord, it shall rejoice in his salvation.
All my bones shall say, “Lord, who is like unto thee, who deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him; yes, the poor and him that is in misery from him that spoilt him?"
False witnesses did rise up, they laid mto my charge things that I knew not.
They rewarded me evil for good, to the great discomfort of my soul.
Nevertheless when they were sick, I put on sackcloth, and humbled my soul with fasting;and my prayer shall return into mine own bosom,
I behaved myself as though it had been my friend or my brother, I went heavily as one that mourneth for his mother.
But when I stumbled they rejoiced and gathered themselves together, yea, the very abjects and those whom I knew not came together against me and slandered me without ceasing.
Like ungodly men they mocked continually, and gnashed upon me with their teeth.
Lord, how long wilt though look upon this? O deliver my soul from the calamities which they bring upon me, and my life from the lions.
So will I give thee thanks in the great congregation; I will praise thee among much people.
O Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me; neither let them wink with eyes that hate me without cause.
And why? their communing is not for peace; but they imagine deceitful words against them that are quiet in the land.
They gape upon me with their mouths and say, “Fie on thee, fie on thee, we saw it with our eyes."
This thou hast seen, O Lord; hold not thy tongue then; go not far from me, O Lord.
Give sentence for me, O Lord, my God, according to thy righteousness; and let them not rejoice over me.
Let them not say in their hearts, “There, there, so would we have it; neither let them say, “we have devoured him"
Let them be put to confusion and shame together , that rejoice at my trouble; let them be clothed with rebuke and dishonour, that boast themselves against me.
Let them be glad and rejoice, that favour my righteous dealing; yea, let them say always , “Blessed be the Lord, who hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant."
And as for my tongue, it shall be talking of thy righteousness, and of thy praise all the day long."
Psalm 35

I do love reading psalms when I am under duress.



No comments: