Sunday, April 1, 2012

Revelations - Elaine Pagels

Revelations, "Visions, Prophecy and Politics in the Book of Revelations", by Elaine Engels was just published this year,2012, by Viking Press. Pagels is the Harrington Spear Paine Professor of Religion at Princeton University. I've so enjoyed previous books by her. The first I read was Gnostic Gospels, a thoroughly intriguing discussion of the questions raised by new digs uncovering gospels excluded by Constantine when Christianity became the state religion.  Her Beyond Belief, The Secret Gospel of Thomas was equally fascinating. Thomas is the one gospel that has been almost re included into the Bible by protestant authorities.  The Origin of Satan was disturbing to say the least. I may disagree with Professor Pagels findings but her research is impeccable and thoroughly thought provoking. Now there are other books of her that I've read including one on Judas. Now I'm excited to get down to reading Revelations. I've not been particularly interested in Revelations because it seemed so metaphoric.
The difficulty is finding time. I want to read Revelations in the Bible again also. I came across this book in Chapters looking for a gift for a friend, and now must find sometime to study what I really want to study.  Most of my life though I've been studying what I need to  for the sake of patients, something I love to do.  But there's been all this other reading I have to do which often isn't relevant to my life, or for  my patients but some how serves the interest of others with their own agendas.
I can't wait to read Pagels Revelations. Maybe with more prayer I may even gain some insights into Revelations, itself.  To date it has been a real mystery.

No comments: