Monday, April 4, 2011

Ask and it will be given to you

LUKE 11:9 "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; he who seeeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
Luke 11: 11: "Which of your fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
Prayer is talking to God.  Meditation is listening to God.  "Your God is too Small" by Phillips is a delightful little book on prayer and one's relationship with God.  God is omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, transcendent, nothing and everything, but most important of all, loving.  
I am the creation of my Creator.  God doesn't make junk.  While I'm praying for a porche, more gold and silver (stocks and bonds and greenbacks) , more power at the office, bigger muscles, better looks, God is trying to give me more life, energy and awareness. God is trying to expand my relationship with all while I ,in my fear, am groping for straws.  I micro manage.  Also as I micro manage I imply God doesn't know that I want all these things.  God knows what I need and what I will be given especially if I don't clog the channel with pettiness.   
If I pray to know God's will and the power to carry that out, I am saying I want  God in charge. I am actually asking for God to pilot the ship and not just tell me what the buttons stand for. 
If I pray for health and wealth for others it may just come back to me.  If I pray for my enemies to know God and be blessed as I am blessed then maybe I become more like the sun that shines on both the puppy and the snake.  God knows all and loves all. God's nature is love.  Who am I to deny the sun.
God, I pray for the Holy Spirit.  Lord, know me as yours and be with me this day. Let me be your hands, your feet, your eyes.  Fill me with your being. May I do your will, not my will, today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this blog entry.