Friday, July 31, 2009

Mission San Jose






















Mission San Jose y San Miquel de Aguayo is one of the chain of missions established by the Franciscan monks along the San Antonio River. Mission San Antonio de Valerio, commonly called the Alamo, was the first and founded in 1718. San Jose was founded in 1720 by Fray Antonnio Margil de Jesus and came to be known as the "Queen of Missions". The legendary Rose Window was reknown for the high craftsmanship of the artisans. The Coahuiltecans were the American Indians who lived in the mission. The Franciscans were an order of friars wo took vows of poverty, chastity and obedience, vowing to protect the Indians.












I asked the Hyatt concierge about getting there. The taxi was less than $20. Trolleys don't run that far. I enjoyed the ride through the city and was delighted by the conversation with the Moroccan cabbie. He'd been to the Missions and praised the work of the National Park Service. "We have a lot of history in my country but they don't care for it like they do here. I went on the tour and learned so much." I was delighted by the information given by the Parks Officers and enjoyed walking about immensely myself. St. Francis is a favourite saint, known best for the St. Francis Prayer.







THE PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS
Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.






No comments: