Wednesday, November 12, 2008

William Hay, Writer


Nov. 12, 2008


The Canadian Authors Association met tonight at the Alliance for the Arts Building, 938 Howe Street Vancouver. I was asked to read. I chose the short story, Born Again, which was published in the Medical Post in 2005 and went on to win the Kenneth R. Wilson Award that year. The reader before me was a retired street nurse writing an autobiographical novel. Sylvia Taylor, President of the Federation of BC Writers did the featured presentation on the writer's "Platform" in the publishing industry.


I stumbled over some words, was glad not to cry in the parts of the story that still move me. Later, glad that it was over I appreciated the praise I received, surprised at how much that meant coming from other writers. I've read the works of several there, many are name brand authors, and it really does inspire me to be in their midst.


The idea of a writer's blog and a writer's curriculum vitae was raised. Now here it is. I've thought of it myself but the execution is happening thanks to Sylvia. She's bright eyed, blond, articulate, inspiring and accomplished. I took her writer's business card and thought, I've recommended this to people myself but do I have one. No. I 'd not heard of putting the writer's business card information on a book mark which was another great idea.


I do like this group!

2 comments:

Randy said...

Congrat's on the Blog!
I'm looking forward to following this. I love your writing and am looking forward to more of it.
Keep up the good work.

haykind said...

Thanks Randy.